Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez RD300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I just joined a metal/hardcore band, and I have found myself in need of a second bass that I can string up with heavy strings and keep in drop-Db. My P-bass is great, but I need something lighter and more aggressive sounding. I've been eyeing the RD300 because it seems to fit the bill pretty well. Does anyone have any experience with it?

2. The RD 300 is more of a beginner bass. I've played RD 300s, 500s and 900s. You can't get too many different sounds out of an RD 300. They don't really sound too agressive either. To me the RDs feel more like Jazz basses than Hardcore Metal basses. Another bad thing about the RDs is that the headstock tends to get very heavy and pulls the neck down with it. It can be very difficult to play in an angled position.

3. Oh yeah, I know that it's not a high end bass by any means, but that's kind of what I want: a knockaround bass. Versitility isn't a huge issue for me, since I'll most likely be keeping the bridge humbucker (which is aggressive enough for me) soloed 90% of the time and running distortion on top of that most of the time too. I'm also toying with dropping in an SD Basslines MusicMan humbucker in the bridge and maybe putting in a Quarter Pounder Jazz in the neck. Balance isn't a huge issue either, since I spend a lot of time flailing around like an idiot. So far I've liked the one or two that I've messed around with, I was just curious to see if anyone had any input.

4. try searching for it. The RD500s seem to get a good wrap around here.