...Ibanez SDGR -vs- Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cydonianknight, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    Despite having done backround research on both these in terms of value for what you get, I am in need of a point in the right direction from fellow bassists.

I have an SX 70's Jazz bass which i like a lot. Its playability is smooth and has great clean sounds.

Im currently in the market for my second bass but am torn between;
    (A)keeping to the more recession friendly price of the Ibanez SR500 which goes for Euro590

(B)saving for a Fender US Std Jazz Bass selling for Euro 1,300

Thanks

2. Those are two completely different instruments.

Are you looking for a backup of your SX or do you want something different?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Couldn't be more different. Also consider, a USA Fender will always have some re-sale value.

4. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    good point...see thats where im unsure

i know the Ibanez range of basses seems to draw metal players. Now that to me is a genre a bit detached from my own style.

however, i want to become as well rounded as possible with my playing....so i wouldnt just say no to the ibanez straight off the bat.
    because for the dough it seems to be a well loved bass with good reputation

5. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass
    Actually, the Ibanez SoundGear is pretty versatile- all those knobs aren't just for decoration, you know, and have a very fast, playable neck, but yeah, Ibanez is pretty popular with metal players.

Have you thought about going with a G&L? I had an SB-2 years back, and it was an awesome bass. They don't have a lot of resale value, but they play very well, and sound great.

6. +1 to WAY different sounds.

I have a MIM Fender Jazz and an Ibanez SRX390. I love them both, but they sound WAY different.

My $0.02 would be grab the Ibby and forget the Fender (for now). Before i get flamed... i would say that your SX would sound closest to the Fender. If you get the Soundgear you will be bolstering your sound more. While they DO seem to cator to metal players (haha shoot, my SRX390 is set up for C standard tuning in my metal band), the Soundgear series still "looks" classy and can fill out a wide array of sounds, from crusty squatter basements to nice clean church sanctuaries.

7. NateDogg

NateDogg

Jun 19, 2009
    I would go a Fender over the Ibenez any day :)

For Ibenez sounds, go with a Cort.

8. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    to Byzcat:
    forgive my ignorance...whats a G&L?

to Din of Win:
    i was thinking that for where i am now...both skillwise and financially...the ibanez would be a quality buy am i right?

having said that my heart yearns for the far pricier fender jazz

9. Skillwise is far too relative to answer. I've seen lousy players playing Rics and amazing players tear it up on a Squier. Financially though, yes... the Ibby is way cheaper. The Ibby is also a VERY good quality bass.

To play devil's advocate though... nothing is classier than a good Fender Jazz bass. You also will most likely get, in re-sale, pretty much what you paid for it. However, the Ibby won't re-sale for THAT much lower.

Like i said, i have a Fender Jazz and an Ibanez SRX390. Both of these basses are used in very different bands though. However, i will say that i also have an ATK300 that i use in the same band as the Jazz. While people commonly comment on the Jazz's look (midnight wine w/ black pickguard), my ATK gets complimented on looks AND sound. Fenders are just so safe that thier sound is to be expected in certain genres. It's fun to mix it up with something different. So again, i'd vote for the Ibanez...

In any case, will you be able to try them both out? That will probably be better than listening to our snobbery :D

10. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass
    A G&L is, well, a Fender. (ducks rocks and bottles thrown by Fender players)

Leo Fender had gotten back together with his old business partner George Fullerton and formed a new company called G&L (George and Leo) and started making great instruments like Fender used to make before Leo sold the company.

The SB-2 has a narrow neck- (the same width at the nut as Ibanez SoundGear, but somewhat thicker).

They're fairly pricey, but you might be able to get a good deal on a used one.

G&L's don't hold their value for resale- bad if you've got one you're trying to sell, but if you're in the market for a used instrument, pretty sweet.

11. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I have an sx jazz and a sr500. I've played the sr500 for many years and my sx sits on its stand.

btw I'm not in a metal band either. I play Ibanez every sunday at church and then in a classic rock sounding band.

12. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    to Din of Win:

sweet gear u got there. yeah i plan on trying them both 2moro. ive already tried the ibby;) a couple times and like its size and feel
    however it is a case of me just desperately wanting to expand my exploration of sounds etc be that with a slighlty diff feel (ie) ibanez or with a tried and trusted rock solid jazz bass which is pretty much my dream bass

to Byzcat:

cheers i'll check it out

13. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    really?? that sounds like you took to it straight away so.
    the look of the sr500 is a bit kick ass as well IMO so thats probably another underlying reason im drawn to it.

how do you find its range (sr500) of low to high compared to the SX Jazz?

14. Man, if a Fender Jazz is your dream... (and a good dream at that!) than by all means hop on it. You're still relatively new to the bass thang, so you will have many many MANY years ahead of you to mold your own sound and look to basses that will usher this along.

If a Jazz is your dream and you're able to pick one up now, do it!

15. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    :):):)
    hahaha
    my heart says Fender Jazz

my wallet (at the moment) says Ibanez

my head is trying to negaotiate between the two

16. It's sounds like you're looking for something a little different, that's non-genre specific. Have you considered an Ibanez ATK? You can get a wide range of sounds out of those basses, and pulling them out at a gig doesn't seem to offend most vintage purists or metal guys.

Personally, I'm a Fender dude, but price point versus versatility, I think the ATK is where it's at. (On a side note, outside of the brands you've mentioned, I think the Yamaha BB414 is also an incredibly versatile, well playing bass for the money).

17. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    actually i had been looking at the yamahabb414...only online tho.

i cant find any place around that actually stocks them.
    so i havent been able to get my hands on one to check it out

18. I really dig them. They have more of a p-bass thing going on, whcih I prefer, but I know you were thinking about a j-bass. The necks are unbelievebaly comfortable. I just don't think yamaha makes a bad anything.

19. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    likewise with the ATK

20. cydonianknight

cydonianknight

May 12, 2009
    id have to agree with you on yamaha being solid tho

theres an acoustic yamaha (6 string) i have got from my dad
    its a tremendous instrument...beautifully made and so great after 30years

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021