1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ibanez sr neck... any similar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mkrtu9, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I think my sr500 finally took a crap. It had a crack in the neck and it was repaired and I played it like that for nearly two years. Now my A string drops a half step every time I pick it up :scowl: I really like the neck on this but I want to leave my options open. I think I want to move to a 5 string, but stay with a similar neck design as the sr.

Do you guys have any suggestions of basses that have a similar sr neck that isn't an sr?

2. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    The Laguna Ocean/Cort Artisan basses are really similar to the Soundgear basses - thin neck, tight string spacing, lightweight body. Overall, I'd peg their quality as beneath that of the SR Prestige, but superior to the other SR basses. They sound quite similar, as they use the same Bartolini Mk. 1 electronics. They can also be had for hella cheap if you can find them used.

3. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    My SR505 no problems at all

4. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    carvin

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Not sure about carvin. They have the whole 19 mm thing going on, which is definitely not Ibanez.
    If you like the SR series, i say you go higher up and take a look at the SR705, and possibly the prestige models. The new Ibanez's look slick!

6. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    thanks for the responses. I've now looked at the Laugana Ocean, Cort artisan and I have previously looked into Carvin. I can't seem to like the Carvin, for some reason I never have. The Laugana seems like you get a lot for your money and they look pretty nice. The Cort's look nice too, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I will just step up in the SR line like Kenbuntu suggests.

But that Laugana looks pretty nice too. Wish I could play one.

thanks

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Carvin? The LB70's I've tried had necks that felt like a Precision bass; totally different from a Soundgear neck.

8. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Shecter 4 stringers all have really thin necks. Dont own one though so I cant say anything else about them.

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    It depends on the year they were made. I have an early '90s that is pretty darn thin front to back, and a 2004 that is somewhere between at Jazz and a Precision.

10. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

i think peavey has some pretty good basses that are overall just like the sr

mt sr 505 the neck went bad i was s o mad

11. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    First of all: Schecter, Cort, etc are good instruments, but the necks are not similar to Ibby SR/EDB necks. I currently own a Cort Artisan and the neck is wider and chunkier; very comfy, but not as thin & narrow as a SR's. In fact I find it more similar to my W Thumb's profile & feel rather than to a standard SR neck (and I owned my share of Ibbys btw: SR500, SR400PB, all the EDB line, and so on). As for Schecters...pretty much the same as Corts.

Second: the typical Ibby spacing for a 5er is 16,5 mm - which is a very narrow spacing. If you're not familiar with such small distance between the strings, you might find the switch difficult (I must confess, for me it was impossible so in the end I switched back to 4 stringers). There are some BN models (such as the BTB475), but most Ibbys (and especially the SR line) have the 16,5 distance. So it's a good idea to visit a GS and test a few Ibby 5ers to see if you can adjust to it.

3rd: some 5ers have a 34" scale, others 35. It might seem a small difference, but when you play them, you can tell the difference. The 35 scale helps tightening the B, but in the same time you will have to readjust your finger memory.

12. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    Interesting. I own a 5-string Ocean, and I thought it was essentally an A5 copy. Not so much, I guess. It has one of the thinnest necks I've ever seen on a bass, though, as well as a 16.5mm string spacing. It's definitely one of the more attractive basses to be had in its price range, too, provided you have one of the earlier models without the godawful ugly black headstock they grafted on towards the end of the production run.

13. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    Peavey Grinds are somewhat similar, and second on the Corts esp. the Curbow copies.

14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    thats what it was.... I played a Peavey Grind a few years ago at an old music shop that I hardly ever go to. It had a pretty similar neck as an sr. I will look into those too. Thanks for the idea.

15. If you like the SR4 neck, and want a 5er with an SR neck - why don't you go try an SR5? :confused: I have an SR405, and the neck is fantastic if you like thin/narrow 19.5mm x 45mm.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Spector NS2QM I used to have had a neck that felt similar to that of Ibanez. It wasn't as narrow a string spacing but it wasn't a huhttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7255870ge gerthy neck either IMO.

If you do decide to go with a 5 string Ibanez, then take this into consideration. There are no significant differences between the Sr505 and Sr705 other than the figured maple top and the color option. IMO/IME there isnt a noticable difference in tone between the 2 basses either. There is also not much of a difference between those 2 basses and the Sr535. The necks are the biggest difference here, Sr535 is a 5 piece Maple/Rosewood compared to the 5 piece Jatoba/ Bubinga, on the Sr705 and Sr505. Again, when I played all these basses a little over a month ago I heard no audible differences in tone amongst the 3.

The Sr605 was the exception to the rule. It sounded a bit different than the 3 I previously mentioned. It's got an Ash body instead of Mahogany like the other 3 do. It was brighter sounding to my ears than its Mahogany counterparts. Which seems like a moot point to me because the Mahogany bodied Srs are already very bright sounding basses. But string spacing and neck radius' are all identical.

I personally went with the Sr535 because of its finished neck. I found it easier for me to play than the other 3.

Model: SR505
    Neck Material: 5pc Jatoba/ Bubinga
    Neck Type: SR5
    Body: Mahogany body
    Frets: Medium frets
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Inlay: Abalone oval inlay
    Bridge: Accu-Cast B25 bridge
    NeckPU: Bartolini® MK1-5-F

Model: SR705
    Body: Mahogany body/ Figured Maple top

Model: SR535
    Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Rosewood
    Body: Mahogany body

Model: SR605
    Body: Light Ash body

17. ^ Any of those come with the same Bartolini 3-band EQ, and cosmetic differences only. They are all very nice basses with the same neck dimensions. I went with the SR405QM for several reasons - the quilted maple finish, the price, and I do like the "stylesweep" EQ.