1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR series Revamped?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darius8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hey, I was looking at the SR series basses and I noticed they revamped their SR basses. It used to be 4 knobs: stylesweeper, volume, balance, and the concentric treble/bass. Now, it's 5 knobs: volume, balance, treble, mids, and bass.

I think it was a good decision to get rid of the stylesweeper and put in a mids knob. Anyone noticed the change?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Theyve been like that for years now. Once you go past the SR400 series they start using the controls you just listed. The stylesweeper thing is available on the basses below the SR400 series (i.e. SR305, etc)

3. Not Anymore, have a look.
    Ibanez.com | Basses | SR

4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Yup, they've changed the EQ and supposedly redesigned the bridge. We'll have to wait until these hit the stores to see whether the upgrade was worth or not.

5. 3-band EQ has trickled down to the sub-500 models, but if you look closely your only choice now is Ibanez EXF-N2 pickups and the EQB-IIID preamp.
    No more P/J pickups or style sweeper EQs.

SR500 and above, it's Bartolini MK I pickups and the EQB-IIIS preamp.

Seems like they just simplified the production line so ALL SR basses are drilled for the same 5 pot holes and soapbar-shaped humbuckers.

Makes sense.

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    TBH I'm really diggin' those 255s ;) For some reason I find them more interesting & appealing than the 305.

7. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    the only thing i didn't like about my sr300dx was the tone / "phat" controls ...

but i notice they have moved away from the p/j config in the SR series, which was what i liked best about them ...

8. MF is already selling the new SR300's for $349, they raised the price but they're still selling the old ones for $299.

9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Japanese companies are ALL about efficiency. They're obsessed with it.

One of the reasons Ibanez offer so few color choices on their instruments is because it's cheaper/more efficient.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I liked all the sr Series basses I've owned - and there have been quite a few - and still really like the sr905 I kept, but think those preamps would be SO much better with a sweepable midrange, like the Prestige Series have...

- georgestrings

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Any idea what is grabbing you on those? I am more intrigued by the 305 and I think it has more to do with the maple board than anything else.

12. The 250 reminds me of the older flat-topped SoundGears that I used to drool over as a teenager...

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Mainly aesthetics (I like the colour scheme and the overall look of the bass, quite classy for that price); plus I hate maple boards and I prefer that nato body (which is basically a cheaper type of hard wood close to mahogany) than agathis. And from the pics it seems the body has rounder edges than the higher SRs (those feel a bit uncomfortable to play seated since they've changed the edge shape to that shark fin type cut).

To me the 255s look like a poor man's SR505. So I'm willing to get one and use it as a starting point for modding.

14. The necks on the SR300's are fantastic, a 5-piece neck maple and roeswood. I'm surprised it's on an inexpensive bass.

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    ...'cause the necks of their higher models are made of exotic woods ;)

What the guys at Ibanez are trying to do is offering as many high end options as possible without jacking the price, so their basses have some features normally used for for expensive instruments. It's one of the reasons why I play Ibbys ;)

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's cool! I can see that working and being a good mod platform. Sounds like fun!

17. They moved away from P/J setups years ago guys lol.

I like the direction Ibanez is going in. The only thing I wish is that they offered more finish options for their middle of the road models like the SR500. It seems like once you get past the 400 series, it's almost all natural finishes or wood-colored stains. I know that's a popular look, and I don't think it looks bad, but I would really like to see more translucent colors or stains that stray away from "wood color" like blue or green or red or white. And I think just about every bass should have a "flat black" option. Just because it basically fits in anywhere.

I am a big fan of Ibanez basses and hope to own one again soon.

18. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I agree. I love the SR 500's but hate the turd brown color they have been now for almost 10 years. I'm also curious on how high the prices are increasing for this year. I saw a picture of a SR 400 being sold for $599.99. I don't know if the earthquake in Japan had anything to do with the increase in prices but Ibanez is pricing themselves out of the market.

19. Don't know why an earthquake in Japan would affect an Indonesian made bass...

20. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think Ibanez should bring back the SRP 400 models. Soundgear body with a pickguard, and offer a P, J, and PJ version. And leave out the Phat circuit :D