1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SR300 refinish problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 543432321234, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 543432321234

Jul 23, 2009
    Hey there, I have an Ibanez SR300 that i am refinishing for myself, but i am having trouble getting the sealer off. I have tried sanding, heat gunning, and stripping with chemicals, and nothing is even coming close to taking it off. With sanding, it's just not economical to keep wasting sheets of it, on the other hand, the heat gun burns the wood before the sealant even starts to melt/scrape off, and with the chemicals, I have used the strongest stuff i could find at my local hardware store (almost burned my skin off with one). It doesn't even touch the sealant. Has anyone worked with an ibanez SR300 like this or any other paint like this? if so, how did you get it off?

P.S. I can't understand why there is 4 to 5 coats of paint/sealer/primer on this thing. There is a top orange coat, a thin gold coat under that, then a thin silver coat, then the thick 1.5mm sealer under that. Bonus points for figuring out why so many coats. Thanks in advance!

2. What grit paper are you using. You have to go pretty coarse.

3. Last refin I did got stuffed through a drum sander because of this same issue! The sander had 60 grit paper on it!

I just sanded the sides by hand.

The sealer fills the open grain and is "less" work than sanding. Cost.

4. 543432321234

Jul 23, 2009
    I am using 60 grit, i'm not sure of the brand, but the type of sandpaper is sandblaster, think. I just don't know what to do, budget is VERY tight right now, so i can't buy tons of sandpaper, so has anyone heard of any other chemicals that would take it off?

5. 543432321234

Jul 23, 2009
    UPDATE: I have found paint stripper that slowly but surely is taking it off, so I am hoping that i will have it finished by the end of the day!