Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimaira, Jul 3, 2005.

1. chimaira

chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    Hello,
    i want to buy a new Ibanez SR400 BK bass.
    Any suggestions to that bass? Any likes/dislikes?
    Is the SR400 made in japan or korea?
    i want to play it in B-E-A-D tuning, is that ok
    with the SR400?
    Thanks alot!!

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    at one point in my life i loved this bass,i still do, but i dont have enough of money to buy it new. If you have alot of money dont get this bass get an sr500. Go to a store and play it i gues? and its made in japan-well im pretty sure

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The SR400 designation has belonged to many instruments over the years, passive basses, active basses, flattop bodies, archtops. Are you talking about buying new or used? If used what year?

My first bass was a Y2K SR400 in black, and it's still alive today despite abuse and extensive modifications. It's Korean made and is a very good piece of gear. The neck is fast and easy to play, and likewise is a great instrument. It takes B-E-A-D tuning fairly well, though I would recommend lighter gauge strings.

My needs have changed over the years, and next to a vintage Fender Precision and a modern Jazz bass, the SR400 still gets played regularly.

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    When I decided to get back into playing bass about 10 years ago, I purchased a used passive SR400. Loved it at the time and it served me well until I got GAS for more expensive basses.