1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ibanez sr500 like musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joey77, May 19, 2011.

1. Joey77

Joey77

May 15, 2011
    hey guys i was thinkin of getin an ibanez sr500 bcse of its cheap price but i also love the musicman and fender tone (mainly the MM tho). i was thinkin..if the musicman stingray or sterling (H) have a humbucker at the bridge and nothing at the neck cud i achieve tht tone using the sr500 by just using the bridge humbucker (since it has a nek and bridge humbukr) ? plus its active and has a 3band eq like the MM

thnks :)

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    apples and oranges....a SDGR bass with the bridge p/u soloed sounds NOTHING, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, like a Musicman in any way, shape, or form. Different body woods, completely different pickups, different pickup location(s), different preamp, etc.

Better bets for that type of tone in your price range would be the Sterling by Music Man Ray34 or G&L Tribute L2000.

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I have owned one too and agree. They sound nothing like a Stingray.

4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    From Ibanez your best chance of getting close to a MM tone is an ATK. Do not get the ATK Gio though. If you can find an ATK300, ATK700, or ATK750 used they are usually cheap. The SR500 series is a nice bass but will never get close to a MM tone.

5. Agree, the SR's and Music man's are completely different. As double agent said, get yourself a Ray 34 and you'll be set.

6. Joey77

Joey77

May 15, 2011
    Alright thanks guys but from wat i saw theres two SBMM basses theres the sb14 (like a sterling) and a ray34 (stingray). The sb14 looks like it is a bit versatile but can it still sound like the stingray?

7. I agree, I am an Ibanez devotee but you cannot get that maple neck snap on one.

Maybe an ATK would be better, I bought an Ibanez Sr300 with maple neckand it is awesome but still has the darker tone.

By the way, OLP basses are not bad if you want the Musicman but dont have the bread.

Also, Stagg makes a decent MM knock off for a couple of hundred also.

8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I have both basses. 3 Ibanez SR 500 Soundgear basses and 1 20th Anniversary Soundgear bass along with 4 Music Man basses. 1 Sterling 4 H, 1 Stingray Classic, 1 Bongo 4HH and 1 Bongo 4H and none of the Ibanez basses are a thing like any of the Music Man basses. The Music Man basses are much better basses. Even sound wise they don't sound close. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ibanez basses but they are nothing compared to Music Mans.

9. Does ANYONE know if a Stingray neck will fit on a ATK 300 96' body?