1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SR506 EMG replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoboMcNipples, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BoboMcNipples

BoboMcNipples

Jul 10, 2009
    I currently own a 5 string bass in which I swapped out the pickups for an EMG DC and TW. I needed to get the ones for a six string because the holes on my bass were exactly that wide. Now, this bass is nearly unplayable, and I was thinking of getting an Ibanez SR506 and putting those pickups on it and just scrapping the 5 string completely. Does anyone know how I should go about this? How do the Bart MK1's compare to EMG? I looked up pickup dimensions for the stock pickups on the Ibanez and didn't find anything.

2. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    What 5er do you have, how is unplayable now? I know that Bartolini makes direct drop in USA replacements for the MK1's (1.33" x 4.25"), and for a 6 string that'd be that MK6CBC. I have a SR505 that I put EMG 40DC's in and I had to enlarge the cavities to accomidate them, no complaints tho, it's a beast now.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You might consider talking to David Schwab of SGD Lutherie about pickups. Great pickups he custom makes in whatever size you need.

4. BoboMcNipples

BoboMcNipples

Jul 10, 2009
    The bass has too many flaws to mention. All of which would cost more money to fix than I really want to spend. At this point, it needs an entire new neck because it can't hold tuning for ****, b string is floppy as hell, and there's a bunch of cracks in the headstock and I'm literally just waiting for this thing to break any moment. I am NOT looking to buy any new pickups. I was asking for pickup dimensions in the sr.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Older SR506 (maple body) pickups are 4 1/16" x 1 9/16":
    EMG 40 series fit.
    Newer SR506 w/Barts? Don't know.

6. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right, as I mentioned previously, the size is 1.33" x 4.25" for the NEWER SR506 which I assume is what you are asking for. EMG 45 is too big so you will need to do body work to get them to fit if you don't want to buy drop ins.