1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SRA550 / SRA555

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fieroturbo, Jul 17, 2012.

1. fieroturbo

fieroturbo

Jun 11, 2011
    Hey everyone!

Does anyone own an SRA550 or SRA555 from Ibanez? I have seen zero reviews of these two basses, and no one has them in-store. I'd like to find a second 5-string that isn't too different than my SR405QM as far as the feel, but still gives me a tone that is a little less dark. What do you guys think about the SRA555?

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SRA555

Thanks?

2. fieroturbo

fieroturbo

Jun 11, 2011
    Come on... No one has one of these?

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I really think you can't find what you want, because the SRA sports EMG40 pickups with traditional Ibanez 3 band equalizer. The response of the EMG40 is very loud and deep (and bright with trebles full up) but I'm afraid still very dark (that's not bad at all IMHO, but the opposite of what you're lookin' for)

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. fieroturbo

fieroturbo

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying! :)

I love a dark tone, but I guess this would replace my SR405 rather than serve as an alternative. I guess I'll do the SR605 instead; I love the Bartolini's with the ash body. Thanks again!

5. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    I have one of the SRA 555's and it was very hard to get to try one. I got mine with Seymour Duncan SSB-5 pickups which are cleaner, clearer and warmer than the EMG 40 pickups which I found quite harsh. The upper mids and highs are a lot cleaner IMHO than the EMG's and the lows are rounder and warmer rather than boomy. I had a Spector Rebop with those and didn't like them so I had my tech order a set of the Duncans and glad I did. Much more usable tones and I love the feel of the maple / rosewood 5pc neck and the quilt top is very nice too. The three band EQ is adequate and with the upgraded pickups seems to work pretty well although as on all of these offshore preamps there is only very small amounts of enhancement and sometimes a little is a lot.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Musiciansfriend has them and there is a demo model on eBay for 345

7. fieroturbo

fieroturbo

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for the insight everyone! I ended up holding off on the SRA555 for now. I might replace the SR405 with that in the future, but for now I ended up getting a Peavey Millenium BXP AC 5 instead. Totally gives me the tone I'm looking for when I need a brighter sound.

8. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    75% of all statistics are completely made up
    So, from what I am seeing though, this looks like a really nice guitar for the money. Solid Mahogany body, the higher end bridge from Ibanez, EMG pickups.
    Right now, SamAsh has these on clearance for $370 (SR555) and I am really, really, really thinking of buying one for a 5 string.

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

9. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have tried the 4-string model in a local shop, and it was one of the most solid, well-built Ibanezes that I've ever played. Don't hesitate if you're after one!

10. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Thanks for the feedback, heading in on Thursday for one. Hopefully they are still in stock.

11. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    I pulled the trigger on this yesterday and she came home today. Full review to follow, but I was in love before I plugged her in.

12. FYI: Sam Ash dropped their price on the SRA550 to $350. That seems like a good deal but I must assume that this bass is a discontinued model since it’s not on the Ibanez website anymore. I recently bought a SR370 because I immediately loved the neck and the overall feel but I am not crazy about the brown burst color. I would have preferred the red quilted top of the 550. I’ve read descriptions of the 550 that say there’s “a little more meat on the neck.” Has anyone compared the 550 to a typical SDGR neck? Is the 550 neck noticeably wider or thicker or both?

13. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Central Oregon
    I just received the 555 after seeing Airborne Jeff's posts above and his review. I like it very much.
    The neck may have just a hair more meat on it; doesn't really take away from the Ibanez 'thin/fast' feeling that I enjoy with my 480. The little bit of extra width of the 5 string(s) is more noticeable and is the factor in the different feel (aside, or along with, getting used to that fat B where the E was, of course).

14. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I've got an SRA550 that I really quite like. The neck feels marginally heftier than a 505 but very playable and with a firm B-string that matches the others in sound. The passive EMG Hz pickups were clear and usable, but I swapped them out for U.S. Bartolini BD5C pickups which gave the instrument the warmth I prefer. The preamp is no better than OK with a blend control that's more like a three way switch. It takes very tiny tweaks off centre to get blends going that are interesting; however, the EQ section is good. I do think that the mahogany/maple body is both nice looking in red and warm sounding with good but not extraordinary sustain. It's a nice comfortable weight and well-balanced. I paid $300 for mine used but in great condition and, with another hundred or so for the new pickups, I'm very satisfied.

15. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    I have a SR250 also, which has the SDGR neck, and yes the SR555 is a little more substantial. It is also higher quality, way more attractive, and feels awesome , lol. I like both guitars, but prefer the SRA. The neck is wider (4 vs 5 string after all) but nothing extreme. Yes, this is a discontinued model, replaced with the new SR505. Still carries the full factory warranty period, etc. Straight up, best investment at that price I can think of. If I could sell off my SR250 for the price I would like, I would buy he 4 string in black in a heartbeat.

16. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Glad that I was able to give some insight! As soon as I had mine out of the box, I was in love.

17. ONELETTERTHREE

ONELETTERTHREE

Jul 14, 2013
    I have an SRA550 in transparent black and this bass is amazing. They are indeed rare as I've only seen mine so far. I knew the minute I picked it up that I just had to buy it. Tons of tone, EMGs that really pump, 5 peice neck, quilted maple top w mahogany body.. worth every penny my friend!!!

18. Hedgehog_SBM

Hedgehog_SBM

Nov 28, 2011
    I have to agree with ONELETTERTHREE. I picked this bass up when the $350 sale hit, as I think the components are worth more than the sale price. I already had an SR400QM when I bought it. I guess I just love quilted maple. I have the red version. Not only is it drop dead gorgeous quilting, but the tone is quite a bit different than the SR400QM. Tons of sustain, and easy to get a flat response when going to higher notes. Also, the low end booms. I typically turn down the low frequency pot a bit.

I play the SR400 and SRA500 about equally, and there's clear reason to keep both.