1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez tubescreamer for bass??...does it exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by novo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    I have been looking for the ibanez tubescreamer pedal for bass but can't quite find it... I have heard of other bass players using it but is there a version for bass for it??

Thanks

Chris

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    There's not an Ibanez bass tubescreamer as far as I know, but there are many bass-friendly TS pedals out there like the TS9DX, Xotic Bass BB, Digitech Bad Monkey, and Fulltone Bassdrive. The Bad Monkey is the cheapest and sounds pretty good, you can easily mod them to increase the amount of low end as well. I would look for one of those or a BB for a bit more cash.

3. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Almost every bass overdrive pedal out there is a tube screamer clone :) Not really, but most likely :D

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I've seen a lot of mods/ clones.

5. I use an ibanez TS9 and i can tell you mate. IT IS THE BEST THING EVER!!! Really aggressive, especially if you use a pick

I have the TS9 going into a Digitech Driver/distortion(put it on the SVT preset) to knock the edge off and it the best growl i have heard

6. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    You can modify a TS9 for bass by just changing the value of 2 caps. A lot of bass players are using modified tubescreamers. There is nothing wrong with using a normal TS9 on bass, but you will lose a lot of low end. This can sound really good when blended back in with a clean signal, like with the VLD sparkledrive.

7. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    but being a guitar pedal... i dont think the sound would come at its best no?

8. i use the coffin case blood drive.
    same controls, tone keeps the low end nicely, good almost ampegy drive.

..i dig.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Most of the pedals people use around here are guitar pedals. There's not that many especially made for bass, and many of those that are don't even sound that good (Boss ODB-3 anyone?). As long as they don't suck your lows and they sound good then use them. I forgot about the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, it's clean blend is a big help for retaining low end and improving note definition.

10. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    No, but then, hip-hop bass lines do not exsist either :D

11. Sparkle Drive is one of the best I have heard. It sounds awesome on bass, but a stock TS-9 might have a bit more overdrive. Sparkle Drive is cleaner, tighter but if you use the clean control on it, you will get less gain, than from a normal TS-9. I don't mind that since for higher gain I have other pedals.

I have tried a stock new TS-9 on bass. I played with a jazz bass through an all tube Ampeg head and 8x10 cab. It sounded pretty good actually, not much of low end loss (plus I think mids are more important and TS-9 has a lot of mids) but a stock TS-9 doesn't have a lot of definition if you use it as an overdrive for bass. It's fine as a slight boost but for overdrive I would use something else, since the bass gets buried in the mix a bit.

12. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i use an unmodded turbo tubescreamer in turbo mode.. not as much gain but a lot more low end.. its my favourite overdrive pedal by far

i sometimes put it in hot mode for more gain but you loose a bit of low end.. not much though.. the mids scream!

the bad monkey is also pretty decent... i have one but i dont use it much now i have the turbo tubescreamer

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've heard this a lot. Apparently the Turbos aren't favored by guitarists, but it works quite well for bass.

14. That makes sense, if the regular tubescreamer works, is there really any reason to spend more money? The only guitarist I've ever heard use it is Thomas Erak from The Fall of Troy.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Please read the FAQ on that point. Also please read what everybody is telling you, because they're right: some bassists use certain Ibanez versions that don't lose as much low end; some bassists mod their Ibanez with a simple replacement of a couple of parts, for better low end; and 99% of "bass overdrives", even the really expensive boutique ones, are just Tubescreamer clones.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Keeley modded Sparkle Drives are even better for bass. I've had a stock Sparkle Drive and now a modded one and definitely prefer the modded one.

17. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm waiting for ryan to pop up in here.

18. back in the 90's there was an Ibanez Tube King that was really cool. i used it on my bass a few times, and i thought it sounded great, but honestly, you really just cannot beat an original Pro Co RAT pedal.

19. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    which two caps and what values do you recomend?

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The input and output caps, and IME a 1uf cap allows most frequencies to pass with minimal attenuation.