Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphase88, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    What are some pro's and Cons about the Ibanez SR505? Where is it made?

What are some Pro's and Cons about the Ibanez BTB405QM Basses? Where are they made?

2. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I had a btb405Qm,I thought it was ok,it looks cool, but the fingerboard is wider than I liked,I wasn't really that fond of it,and it really goes though batteries quickly.mine had a sticker that said made in korea.

3. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005

First 6 string I ever owned was the 506.
    Not as heavy as some other 6 strings I tried out at the time (which was nice) largely thanks to the slimmer/smaller body.

Closer string spacing was nice if you use a pick, not so good if you plan on slap and/or tapping. (not a good sound on slap and tapping anyway)

Con's.. not much as far as sustain and despite all the friggin knobs they put on the thing, don't expect to do to much as far as EQ'ing from the bass side. Hope you have a nice amp with tone shaping features.

About a year ago I bought the BTB406. Way WAY nicer than the SR506. The Bartaloni active preamp makes for a much more controlable sound range. GREAT lows and crisp, clear mids and highs.
    String spacing is further apart wich I personaly like better, because when I play rock/metal I play really aggresively using my fingers.
    It has a good jazz sound as well.
    Slap and tapping is a lot easier and sounds better, thanks to the string spacing and better electronics.

Bigger, thicker body, 5 piece maple/walnut neck. Don't mind the fact that it's a bolt-on.. this thing has enough sustain for three basses.
    I don't mind the wieght.. but make no bones about it... this thing is HEAVY! (still not as heavy as the Warwick Thumb or some MTD basses though)
    The extra body size makes for better balancing as well.
    I'm not sure of the scale on the SR50? but the BTB's are a 35" scale. Makes the B a lot tighter and clearer. After playing it for a week or two you get used to the extra length and don't notice it anymore if you have only played 34" scale basses up to this point.
    Don't let the bridge sound like it's something special on this on though. The independent bridge setup looks neat, but that's about all it's good for. Ibanez will tell you that there's less "string to string vibration".......... ........... No there isn't. It's just a fancy looking bridge.

I would go with the BTB, but that's just me.
    I only use this as a back up now however.

*EDIT*
    I know the BTB is from the Korean factory, and I'm 'pretty' sure the SR's are as well.. but I'm not entirely sure.

4. I play a BTB405QM and really like it. It is big. It is heavy. And yes, it is wide, but I like the string spacing and more importantly, I like the way it sounds.

I've played nicer basses, but for the price I've been very content with my BTB.

Didn't really like the soundgears I tried that much. Go try 'em both out and see what you think.

5. +1

I dont like the sound of the SR's ive heard, the BTB's are great i think, ive got a 406QM, looks and sounds beautiful, i can see where the neck might be too big for some people, it doesnt bother me at all, and you gotta love the monorail bridges :p

The current batteries have been in mine for at least 10 months now, so i dont think they die to quickly, just remember to unplug it when your finsihed playing

However, the only thing i dont like about the BTB's is the neurolink (whatever) jack output, its a great concept, but very tempromental, it can loose signal very easily ( i assume its a bit on the loose side inside )

6. Also, im pretty sure nearly all Ibanez's are made in korea, no problem with that, other than the people who make them are underpaid compaired to people who do the exact same thing in the US

7. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    what color BTB406wm's do you guys have? can u post a pic? would you choose this over a G&L Tribute L2500?

8. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005

Hmmm....

More than a Fender, less than a Warwick Thumb.
    Not sure of the exact weight. I found a great strap that helps distribute the weight of it. Wide and padded helps a lot.

And as for the other question about the color...

I think the 406's only come in Transparent Black.
    The step up is a neck-through model (1206 or 1106 I think)
    that only comes in the natural, clear gloss, maple top finish.