Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ICESTORM...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jimbob, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    As I type this, my 3 kids and I are Iced in! Freezing Rain has socked the Charlotte area pretty good. My wife is at work, the School is open but we decided to avoid the Drop-off Pick-up program today as people in this town drive like idiots in this weather. I have power so the DVD player and computer work....Anybody out there from ATL to Greensboro have care to share their shut in story today?

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Great, that's the storm that heading here tonight. I'm really hoping it warms up a little, so that it'll be mostly rain. I have a friggin' 60 mile commute right about the time that's due to arrive.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That storm is supposed to be hear Friday as a mix of everything. Hopefully the ice isn't too bad. Plowing in an ice storm is not fun.

4. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I just got a call from a buddy of mine that lives in NC. We grew up in the North East and worked driving plows all winter. He called from his truck just to tell my how unbelievably bad the drivers were down in NC when the weather is bad. He said there are cars and SUV's off the road everywhere.

Good luck and be careful!

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    7 inches of snow mixed with periods of freezing rain here today. Yehaaah!

6. We're getting dumped on here in the Shenandoa. My last final exam, an oral presentation was canceled by my professor after the university shut down today.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Appreciate the good thoughts. I grew up in Syracuse NY and I still won't drive in NC when the weather is like this...NASCAR land and all, these people drive like freaks when it's like this. Weather said it's supposed to go down to 20 degrees tonight which will Hard Freeze everything!!! Supposed to be near 50 Friday but let's see what damage will be done between now and then!

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    a news story on yahoo claimed that ice closed down schools in atlanta. :eyebrow:

atlanta... georgia. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Here in MD everyone flips out and flees in terror at even the mention of snow. We had about 2 inches last week, that was gone by morning and the still closed all the schools.

I took the WRX to the grocery store and played. AWD+Turbo+Snow = fun.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Greensboro checkin' in...

...got stranded at my g/f's (see the pic in the "Love At First Sight" thread! :hyper: ) last night, woke up this morning to 3/8" of solid ice on the windshield of my car, and a pretty slick coat on her driveway, which is nice and steep. Needless to say, I didn't go anywhere this morning...I'm a poor Flaw-eee-duh boy, and don't know nuffin' 'bout drivin' in no ice...

About 1, the temp went up enough to get the ice off the windshield, we salted the driveway, and away we both went.

I didn't get into the shop until about 1:30, car is STILL covered in ice.

Didn't see any accidents...yet....and it's STILL raining out...

:spit:

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It's just raining here.

I guess having like 6 of the most dangerous chemical factories in the world here in my valley does do something good occasionally....

But the roads are sure to turn to pure ice tonight.....ugh

and my girl's hill is horrendous even when it's dry....

12. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Just talked to my drummer in Gastonia NC (20 min drive from me...about 8 miles straight across Lake Wylie) and they got absolutely SOCKED! Trees down, accidents, no power, cats and dogs living together, you name it. Weatherman "Substantial Black Ice in the AM...then 50 in the late Morning...Saturday there will be a Rain or Snow event" Great! My wife is supposed to do her Grad. Walk from UNCC this weekend :scowl: ...I gotta get some beer!

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The roads got bad here in central PA after about 2 hours of snow. I had an interview for a state job for tomorrow that I had to reschedule for Monday. I wouldn't mind being snowed in for tomorrow, but it'll take a whole lot more than the 8-12 inches they're calling for.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    roads are pretty bad right now in glassboro nj

15. Yup.

I'm not too worried about the storm, but with a transit strike looming (probably won't happen) the mathematical formula looks something like this: Bad weather + no mass transit = day off! :cool:

Mike

16. I just came back from getting dinner. It was an adventure. I don't know how I made it back alive.

17. Looks like that crap is heading our way, but the high temp is supposed to be in the 40's :hyper:

I had some good friends move to Charlotte a few years ago. They have said the same thing, whenever there is snow on the road people turn into idiots. They just don't know how to drive in that type of weather, plus the city is not equipped for snow removal or sanding the roads.

18. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    The snow removal "stuff" is commonly called "SLAG" Which is a Water and Salt brine they dump on the bridges and intersections. It's a joke compared to where I come from. In Syracuse, they equiped the Garbage trucks with Plows in the winter in addition to the regular Plow trucks. Why they don't do that in the south? It's cheaper ( :meh: ) than buying snowplows and it will help the economy...employee lost time and fixing all the busted up curbs and buildings the NASCAR Jr's run into during this weather...

As long as I'm Ranting...

When I moved here, I had to take a drivers test for my NC licence. A friend told me it was the hardest thing he ever did...he failed it once before he passed. I go and take the test and EVERY QUESTION was about driving in snow!!! I aced the thing.

By the way, I got more beer!!!

19. I live in the south, and plows are often mounted on pickup trucks in additon to the normal plow trucks. I actually just saw some a few hours ago clearing some of the walkways on campus. There was also this cute little mini-vehicle with a plow on the front for getting into the tighter areas.

20. I'm in Alexandria VA for a meeting with my boss from Spain. Got here last night because of the snow that they've been calling for all along the coast today. 10am today til 1am tonight supposedly.

It started snowing around 10am, turned to rain around 2pm and is doing nothing now.

I don't think that I'll have too much trouble driving home tomorrow. All 7 hours of driving.

I remember when I was stationed in Norfolk VA that, when ever it snowed, the city shut down and it seemed that no one, even the Northerners, remembered how to drive in it.

Even in NY, we have a lot of wrecks during the first snow storm of the year because people "forget" how to drive in the snow.

Oh yeah, I found out Tuesday evening that my daughter (17 next month) put her car in a ditch after a dump of 8 inches of snow Monday evening/Tuesday morning. About 25 miles NE of Syracuse. Insurance company totaled it today.