1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'd like to start recording myself

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by EriktheRed, Jan 3, 2012.

1. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    What are some decent small recording devices out there? Something not computer-based, since my 'puter and bass gear are on different floors.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Zoom H1

3. Tascam DP-004 or DP-008

4. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Checkin' on e-bay now...

5. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL

I don't really want mic-based recording; I want something I can plug into.

Are there any that just record one track?

6. You can plug straight into either of the Tascams I mentioned.

7. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Yeah, that 4-track would be the one I would go with if I bought one of the ones mentioned. I mainly just want to record some bass lines I've come up with. Lately I've been coming up with something I think sounds good, but it goes down the memory hole.

8. I feel your pain. I'm sure everyone has lost a song or three because they had no way to record it and after a good night's sleep, poof! Anyway, the Tascam DP-004 is a small and easy to use 4 track recorder that sounds like it might be what your looking for.

9. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Check out the Boss Micro BR.
    Small, easy to use, good sound, converts to MP3.

10. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
  11. you can plug a bass direclty to your sound card and record to Audacity... audacity is free to download.. can import/export mp3s and multi track.

most of the time folks way over buy gear when just starting... theres tons of unused gear listed in many places.

To only record one track there are countless divices that will ASIO record to software... pandora... digitech... zoom... pod farm... line6... and so on.. or a basic interface.

I own tons of expensive gear and will be the first to admit I use simple stuff 95% of the time.. even recording remote tracks for higher paying digital recordings.

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I've been using an Olympus LS-10 for a while now. I looked at the Zoom H1 before I got it and I like the Olympus better. Dunno how the Tascams compare.

If you want to hear how the Olympus does, listen to the clips I posted here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/p-vs-p-like-can-you-tell-difference-838140/

They're from the headphone out of my practice amp to the Mic In on the Olympus. It also has a Stereo Line In jack, too. With my last band, I recorded all our shows by taking the Monitor Out from the board to the Line In on the Olympus.

It will record up 24-bit, 96kHz WAV (i.e. uncompressed), or you can have it encode straight to MP3 or WMA format.

And it has an optional wireless remote you can buy for it. I have used that, too, to record demos of my band. Set it on a camera tripod somewhere in our practice space and then use the remote to start and stop the recording. I got a lot of gigs the last couple of years using demo tracks that were recorded that way.

13. Doll

Doll Versus Doll

Jan 31, 2010
    Saskatchewan
    I just got the h4n, great little device, I am liking the built in metronome too. Would recommend for sure, was also looking into the tascam dr-100, looked like a good one too, tascam makes great stuff but found the h4n used. Though I think some of the other models mentioned might be more cost effective if that is an issue.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    iPod, iPhone, iPad

Eventually Android - I hope.

15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Nothing out for the Android guys yet? That stinks. I'm an Apple fanatic, so I'm set, but it would be disappointing if all of the Android users didn't have the same option for cell phone based options.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Pencil and paper has sufficed, for centuries...

17. Foxtex MR8-II?

18. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    I read somewhere that Android's Sound API is quite problematic.

19. Zanpa

Zanpa

Sep 26, 2010
    Kaiserslautern
    Get your bass and computer on the same floor.

20. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    this or use a mobile telephone with video or voice/memo recorder to record while you play