Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ID the bassists for these tunes?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Apr 7, 2004.

1. * Who did the tasty slap bass work for Naked Eyes' 1982 hit "Promises, Promises"?

* Who played fretless on Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" (the studio version, not the MTV Unplugged version)? I heard it on the radio yesterday and there's massive MWAH in every note...Sounded like a trombone! Also, what did this bassist use?

2. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    don't know about the first one but the second is nathan east i think,great sound on that track

3. I think "tears in heaven" studio version was done by Lee Sklar.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Someone once mentioned the Nick Beggs (Kajagoogoo) played that line.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    "Tears in Heaven" is the inimitable Pino Paladino. He did very similar playing with Paul Young in the 80's. Pino is an incredible fretless player as well as a great meat&potatoes groover.

I am not sure what Pino used on that tune, but for years he used a vintage MusicMan Stingray that was a factory fretless.

6. Can you verify this? I'm a Pino freak and I am pretty sure it's NOT Pino. Nevertheless, I know for sure it's NOT a Stingray, since I also own a fretless Stingray, and even though it can Mwah, it can't sound like a trombone like the recording does.
    The fretless Ray is more vocal and "throaty"-sounding.

And I know it's probably not Nathan East either, though he did play in the MTV Unplugged version (that one's keyed down a bit, wasn't it?).

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the original album...the back cover has the list of "Additional Musicians"-
    Tony Mansfield is listed as bassist. No Nick Beggs listed...I always assumed "Promises, Promises" was synth bass, it's that clean & it was a bear for me trying to dupe that intro when it goes to the "D".

I always assumed this was Pino...Clapton used Pino on the Journeyman album("Bad Love"?). Was this in the same time frame?
    Anyway, "Tears In Heaven" vibe reminds me of "New York Minute".
    My guess is Pino.
    ;)

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You know what, I think I was wrong. I think it is Nathan East on the studio version complimenting the song with the best Pino/Jaco imitation I have ever heard. I have no idea what bass was used. The song was originaly from the "Rush" soundtrack?

As for the Stingray, I have owned a fretless Ray for years and I can get tons of mwah/trombone-like tone on it. But I have no idea what bass is on that recording.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I checked AMG...Rush has 2 bassists listed, East & Tim Drummond.
    I would bet the farm that it was not Drummond; I know he played with James Brown way back when & also Neil Young (Harvest).
    I guess it's East.
    ;)

10. Hmmm...What kind of strings? You use flats or rounds?

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I use rounds, but I rarely change them.(they are quite crusty in fact:) I also find that EQ, set-up and touch all play a huge factor. I don't know if I could get that exact tone on "tears" but I can definitely get very close with my 'Ray.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I looked at Pino's discography as listed in his recent BassPlaguer feature. Shows him on the Clapton albums Journeyman, Pilgrim and Reptile -- none of which contain the Tears in Heaven cut. Not conclusive, but there you go.

Okay, now to hijack the thread slightly -- who played on Howard Jones' Things can Only Get Better?

:ninja:

13. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    That track is done with a synth.
    Although if you get a chance, pick his "Perform.01" CD. It's a live-in-the-studio CD with Nick Beggs playing bass. What a great player.

14. It was Howard's E-mu Systems Emulator II sampler :)

(I'm also a keyboardist, so I keep track of these things)
    Though his brother Martin Jones played bass during his 1985 "Dream Into Action" tour.

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hee! I suspected it was a synth, but I could never fully convince myself - the "slap" sound isn't quite natural, but it is very well done - the way the line is constructed sounds convincing, IMO, unlike many obviously keyed basslines of the era.

...and now I know! :D

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    So is it an E-mu on "Promises, Promises"?
    ...sounds like it's in the same park as the Howard Jones' tune.

17. No, it's definitely a real slap bass on "Promises Promises." Listen closely, you'll hear the legato hammer-ons and slides. Back then those things were kind of impossible to do with a bass sample.

On the Howard Jones song, ithe bass has the same kind of timbre regardless of which note is played. Not only that, but I seem to think that was one of the factory slap bass samples that came with the instrument.

18. ArnoldoAC

ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    London
    TEARS IN HEAVEN = Totally sure it was Nathan East. He recorded two bass lines. He used a Guild fretless acoustic bass guitar. He usually changes the line every time he plays the song live and it sounds very different how he has been playing it recently with a Yamaha FRETTED acoustic bass guitar.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Wow, you would think that an editor would've caught that. Great job.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Woods-
    So is it Beggs on "Promises, Promises"?

...or is it Louis Johnson?
    :D