Idea about using DBX 120A/XP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Waabs, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I love the sound of the DBX120A or the older DBX120XP for that Tony Levin kind of sound. The problem is I don't really want one unless I can really use it in my bass rig. I use two 2x10s and don't really want to get a 15, 18 or sub.

So my idea is if I ran the DBX into an EQ and cut some of the extra lows out would I still get the benefits whilst protecting my cabs?

I know it kind of defeats the purpose to create the lows then kill them but would I still get in the ballpark of that Tony Levin sound using the DBX in this way?
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  3. I'd get an EBS octabass for the Levin sound. (like on Peter gabriel's sledgehammer?) The 120XP gives a different kind of sound which in some ways is a lot more subtle but also much more potentially speaker damaging.
  4. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Interesting - thanks. I'll definitely have to try and track one down. The Sledge Hammer sound is one that I've been after for a while! So the EBS octabass nails the sound?
  5. I'd say that the EBS Octabass is the best octave pedal I've heard. It's worth noting that most octavers don't track well below the open A note. however you tend to compensate by playing in the higher registers and getting a really full sound.
  6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

I run on of those, it's first in my effects loop, followed by a BBE 362, and then a dbx 266XL. As long as you use common sense and your ears, you shouldn't have a problem with excessive lows. I've run it with a 2x10/1x15 set up, a 4x10 set up, and currently with an 8x8 or 2x12 set up (depends on the gig.) So yeh, go for it, just use your ears and don't go too low!