Idea for home recording.?help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Dec 1, 2003.

1. We are thinking aboout making our own recording and this is what I can either borrow and or own for the recording process.
    Drum Mikes(shure)and plexi shield
    2 Guitarists/ seperate miked
    Bass (DI/Bleed thru mikes)
    For all the inputs an Alesis 16 Channel mixer
    running all into a tascam 424 4 track and add vocals later. We are a metal band and practice in a meat packing plant with awful acoustics. Please add any input or suggestion to make this work or sound better. will just the mixer be good to send the signals to the 4 track? thanks for your time.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Mu suggestion - spend a few bucks and read "Home Recording For Dummies" - it is not as simple-minded as the title suggests. You can get more info in that than most any other place for someone in your position.

I don't do much home stuff myself, but even for me, the book is great for stuff such as mic placements, EQ and effects settings, and acoustic issues.
  3. Go to

Talk with Recorderman or Kurt Foster, they can get you started with your limited amount of gear!

4. With heavy guitars you probably want to eliminate much of the room noise (esp in a bad room), so close mic those puppies with sm57's (buy some if you don't have any, they are almost necesasry for loud guitars)

You're going to get a lot of room noise for the drum kit, experiment with the plexi shield in different places around the kit and get in tight on the snare with 57's or 58s (something without a huge pattern).

Read Tape Op at
  5. Thanks everyone...Ill tell everyone how the experiment goes later.