1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Idea for new product: GK preamp pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DonaldR, Jan 16, 2013.

1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I believe the boost control/growl sound comes between the pre and power sections on their heads. Include that on the pedal and you've got a winner for sure. Of course include an out strong enough to drive any power amp, 1.4v or so? DI and all that.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    GK Style Tube Growl in a pedal would be amazing and would likely be a top seller. All great ideas in this thread.

That Diesel Dawg pedal sounded pretty awful and was also BULKY.

3. +1 to all of the above. Don't care if it's a pedal or rack mount, either, though I lean towards the former.

Thanks for letting us know you're looking at it, Robert, can't wait :cool:

4. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    bulky: YES, awful: NO ... great overdrive/distortion pedal, way underrated in my opinion

GK preamp pedal: amazing idea, sub´d

5. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Bob, any update?

6. Anyone know where GK is with this? I've been thinking this would be awesome and just came across this thread.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Bump for interest.

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Interested too

9. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    Would love to see this include the same parametric EQ that's on my MBE-150/112 combo. That bass/parametric lo-mid/parametric hi-mid/treble combination is superbly useful.

10. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I'd love to try/use one!

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Definitely interested in this one. I've got the Tonehammer Pre/DI pedal and Eden WTDI. I'd love to add GK as another option to use as a pre/poweramp setup.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Me too. Wished I bought one when they were still in production.

I'm definitely interested in this pedal.

IMO Bob Gallien is a Master of bass eq design, -especially for a gig situation. I can never think of a time where I used a G-K head where I had trouble hearing myself within a mix, plus dialing in a great sound that blends with the other musicians on stage was always a snap.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I use a mb200 as a preamp which I have mounted in the outer pocket of my 2u rack bag. It works really well. Not as indestructable as a pedal, but I can always use it as integrated amp if my power amp goes down.

14. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The preamp in my GK 800RB is very transparent, unless you kick in the filters, which I'm not using often anymore.

That grind comes from the power amp design, I think.

15. A tube pre (like in the MB Fusions) with chain out would be especially awesome...

friendlybass likes this.
  16. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    As long as it has both input and output volume controls+boost I'm buying. If it's like the mb200 preamp I have less than zero interest.

17. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    What about the gk rack preamp that they made?

18. Just came across this thread about a GK preamp pedal... what a great idea!

In the last year or so, I've completely fallen in love with my MB Fusion 500—I really dig the EQ, and how easy it is to dial up an amazing tone.

Any update on the pedal?

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021