Ideal frequency cutoff for bass reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lordradish, Sep 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I like to use reverb, both when soloing and on my huge soundscape pedalboard. My reverbs all have the HPF so I can keep the verb signal from getting too muddy. I'm just curious as to whether there's an ideal frequency to set the cutoff at. I generally just fuss around till I get what I like, but I just got an Empress Zoia and I'd like to dial in the frequency a bit more specific.

Curious as to what you verb users set your cutoff at.

2. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The engineers at Abbey Road rolled off everything going into the reverb chamber at 600 Hz. So, that is my recommendation for EVERYTHING in the mix. It keeps the reverbs from getting too heavy and making things muddy.

lordradish likes this.
  3. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    I have a KMA Tyler which I use to split my signal into HP and LP. I have a reverb pedal in the high end loop and I typically have the cutoff frequency at around 1000Hz. It sounds good to my ears. Also, because the pedal has a -12dB per octave roll off. Some of the lower frequencies creep in but that's not undesirable.

extreme and lordradish like this.
  4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Somewhere between 200-800hz is my preference.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^That is a key component of achieving the non-mush sound that people describe when they ask about hi-passing their 'verb: You can't achieve the same clarity if your filter comes after the ambience (regardless of whether it's mechanical or digital). You need to filter out all those low frequencies before they hit the reverb machinery.

600Hz might be a bit high for doing bass-specific ambience though.