Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying alembic pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gerk, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Gerk

Gerk

May 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Does anyone out there know of any online guides or listings of older alembic pickups?

I just picked up a used steinberger XP2 not one of those new spirit monstrosities, but one of the old vintage 80's ones ;) (they look much the same, a sort of flying wing)

Anyway it has some similar era pickups in it that have Alembic engraved into the pickup itself (not the gold lettering, but deeply engraved grooves) and I'm kinda curious to find out more info on them. Google has let me down, can anyone here suggest a place to look?

If it helps I can get some pics of them online . . .

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Email Alembic and ask, they're normally very helpful. Otherwise post this question at the Alembic Club as someone there might know.

The dimensions I have for the current models are
    AXY/FatBoy shell is 4.110 x 1.750 / 104.4 x 44.45
    MXY shell is 4.110x1.220 / 104.4 x 31
    (length is increased to 5.000 inches / 127mm for 5/6 string versions),
    but they can also pot the coils into different sized cases on request, so it might involve unsoldering the pickups and measuring the impedances (but what these are specifically I don't know).

3. Gerk

Gerk

May 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks, I'll give those and go and try and find out :)