1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If this was a musician joke it'd be funny...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 21, 2008.

1. except it's deadly serious.

I've been getting emails from musicians about a band ad I placed. I've found that the emails follow a pattern.

Drummers- emails are typically devoid of punctuation and spelling. Usually quite short too.

Guitarists- walls of text about their previous gigs/the gear they use/the obscure guitarists they like.

Keytards- fairly formal, actually quite well written.

Not had any singer ones YET....

I thought this was actually quite funny.

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

mAkEs Me wOnDEr WHaT A RePly FRUm A BasePLaYEr WOOD lOOK LYke$

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    come to think of it...my drummer is pretty short in what he says.

4. Contra(Band)

Contra(Band)

Apr 11, 2008
    Bass players have a hard enough time dealing with letters A through G, you don't think they can actually read or write do you?

5. Hey! I can read three alphabets thank you!

6. Funkdrawer4

yod,tet,chet,zayin,vav,hey,dalet,gimel,vet,bet,aleph
    Sadly I can only read 2:)

7. That sounds like Hebrew...

8. Funkdrawer4

Transliterated ..Yes! the 1st ten letters read from right to left

9. Cool.....

αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω

Now back to the point...

10. Funkdrawer4

Ok back it is

11. Seriously, I don't even think the guys sending the messages are aware of the stereotypes they are portraying...

12. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't know about the rest, but the drummer observation is spot on. It got so bad when my current band was looking for one that we actually had to say that we only responded to people who seemed halfway literate in a follow up add.

13. Luckily I've had only one reply and it was readable.

14. I would have missed out on playing with some good drummers, and other musicians too, if I had minimum literacy requirements for players. Seriously.

15. I NEED musicians who can actually communicate in some fashion

16. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    The problem was more that they wouldn't/couldn't answer any simple questions about themselves when they responded.

Hoping to save time and weed out people who probably wouldn't fit in, I asked some basic questions: What are your influences? What kind of gear do you have? What kind of experience do you have? Etc...

Every time someone would respond it would look like..."this is loking like good music and stuff i would have fun playing" That's it. When I'd respond and remind them that I asked for some information about them, I'd get, "LOL yea im really good and i play drums"

I don't care if they're good or not. If they can't respond coherently to what is more-or-less the first task in a job interview, what am I supposed to expect them to act like later on? There are too many good musicians out there to put up with flakes and/or morons.

17. ^I agree. There are plenty of good musicians out there.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I guess "add" would be considered halfway literate.

19. Errrr...typo?

20. the drummer and guitarist from my old band fit this description as well.