1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you couldn't play Bass anymore......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeepHz, Jun 5, 2020.

1. DeepHz

DeepHz Gold Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2017
    I am curious to hear from TBers what instrument you would choose if for some obscure reason you can't ever play the bass again? No physical limitations. Just no more Bass.
    (I know, blasphemy)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. grinx

grinx Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Drums or lead cajon
    Marimba

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've had some hand/finger problems so this possibility has crossed my mind. If I could still play guitar, that would be my choice. (In fact, before the demise of my last band, I was slated to move over to guitar for covers we planned to add to our repertoire.) Otherwise I might return to lead vocals, which I did during my teens and early twenties, sometimes while playing bass but sometimes "naked."

dmt, Ari Nobody and DeepHz like this.
  4. Sursonique

Sursonique

May 17, 2020
    the triangle

ec2bass, beniciaboy, DadRola and 35 others like this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I already play keys and percussion. Easy transition for me.

D-G, BassBase2, Rob Calderon and 5 others like this.
  6. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Air Bass

7. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I'd concentrate on my flute playing and singing. Or, especially if it was a thing where I lost the use of one hand's fingers, I'd think about taking up trombone ... I played brass instruments back in high school, and jazz trombone has been a big influence on my fretless phrasing.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My gut instinct answer is to learn to play drums.

Kinky Afro, uniinu, fretter and 11 others like this.
  9. SunByrne

SunByrne Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Probably keys, but maybe guitar (blasphemy, I know).

Ari Nobody likes this.
  10. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Never had a trombone, but love 'em. That sound is truly boss!!

Fascinated with good drumming, but I'd probably play too quiet. (quietly?)

LOVE the wooden xylophone - they need a bit of a footprint, but I've always wanted one.

Played an alto saxophone through junior high, but I'd look for a tenor if I took that up again.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    when i had physical issues that didn't allow me to play bass, i started learning to play a small harp and to reacquaint myself with keyboard. i think keys would be the way to go for me if i couldn't play bass as i have a little of experience and a keyboard. i did enjoy the harp, but the minute i could play bass again, i don't think i touched it again.

i'd have said drums as i have my entire electronic kit folded up and ready to go, but the only way i'd stop playing bass would be due to physical issues, and i find that when my shoulder hurts too much to play bass, i can't play drums, either.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  12. I'm thinking that if you couldn't play bass anymore, then chances are you've lost the ability to use a hand or arm. So, with that thought in mind I'm on board with everyone who said "drums" because clearly Rick Allen proved it can be done, right? :cool:

13. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Townsville
    It would depend on why. If it was because I was just forbidden for some reason, I'd switch to guitar.

Ghastly likes this.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have also been into percussion for a long time, so I’d probably focus on getting good at that.

15. If I was playing with others seriously, I’d want to move into percussion. I feel my time on bass (and other instruments) gives me a great perspective on playing to serve the song (and volume level! :roflmao:)

Playing casually with others, acoustic guitar. Great for singing (I already do a decent amount of this.)

Playing alone in a bunker-type situation, I’d resume my piano studies. Very satisfying, challenging and rewarding, and there’s so much potential material, I’d be busy for years! :thumbsup:

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Prolly get into programming the bass drums and keys. With various programs..

17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    more cowbell, of course!
    since getting a lil Yorkville BassMaster XM50 combo with it's sweet mix of SS clean and nice tubey warmth (especially in an all bass setting) for the perfect tone blend for my old 8str Rick Bakelite lap steel, I've been playing that more, primarily at night in the apt. after focusing on bass for years. but have no fear, this amp is killer for bass in a small setting and great headphone fun, it just nails the sound I crave for mellow steel, keeps my hammered ears preserved for a few more years, and what got me deeper into bass, away from shrill solos. steel was always my #1 so I'm good either way but losing anything would definitely suck.

18. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Keyboards, that's where I started music in my youth mid last century. Still take one with me to gigs and dabble a bit with it more and more.

Edit: I like my neighbors, otherwise it would be accordion, banjo and bagpipes.

D-G, Blankandson, rollie 55 and 4 others like this.
  19. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Drums. I already play them. If that's what you wanna call it, that is.

20. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Like my dad used to say, "I've always been pretty good at playing the radio."