1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

if you had to choose,which one would you pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by infamusblkdeath, Apr 30, 2009.

which would you pick

Poll closed Oct 27, 2009.
  1. epiphone thunderbird pro IV

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. sterling by musicman RAY34

59 vote(s)
    74.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. the new epiphone thunderbird pro IV?
    [​IMG]

or a sterling by music man RAY34?
    [​IMG]

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Tbird has 2 pickups. Big Plus, and the new ones are neck through, I like that too.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I like my Music Man's. I don't know what the new imports are going to be like. Must be better than the terrible OLP's. Should be interesting.

4. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Only because I hate neckdive.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Man those Epis are sexy. With they still came in Pellum blue! Or, sexier yet, WHITE!

6. i actually heard that they are very much like the real music mans.and for $600,i'd hope they'd be way better than the OLP's.

7. no,they don't come in white,or P.blue.the colors that you see are the only colors they have in them.but hey who knows? maybe they will throw some more colors out there in the future

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    clams - the NEW carrots!

Dan K.

9. pyrohaz

pyrohaz

Apr 28, 2009
    Cheshire, UK
    Epi happily

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I don't like how Epi TBirds sound. So unless these Epi's have different PU or a nice new Preamp, I vote for EB.

11. For what use? Both make fine boat paddles.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Those thunderbirds are horrible basses...I think people only buy them for aesthetics.

MM all the way.

13. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd say epi if it weren't for neck dive. As it is, I'd call it a coin toss.

14. so do all the basses that you own :eyebrow:

15. yeah,im gunna have to disagree on that "horrible basses" statement.that is just YOUR opinion

16. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Pretty sure with them being neck-thru, the strap lug will be located at the joint, like on the Gibsons. Thus eliminating a LOT of the neckdive.

edit: nevermind, just saw a pic. still in the same place :meh:

17. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Believe it or not, some people feel the same about MM basses.

18. still,i think these TB's are going to be much lighter,and i still i think there will be much less dive than the regular ones.oh yeah,and anyone think the regular epi's neck is too fat? well,they shortened the nut width on these ones,so they should have much thinner necks

19. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Nice. That's one thing I disliked about my old T-bird. Always cramped up my hand during long shows. I may have to swing by a GC in the near future to see if they've got any of these. And hooray for no 3-point bridge!

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I think you missunderstood where he was coming from. I think his point was that he could help you decide better if you gave us more info. To just say "Which one?" without telling us anything about what kind of music you play, or what kind of tone you like, is lacking on YOUR part. So when he said both make great boat paddles, he was refering to the fact that those two basses would be used for two different kinds of situations in the music world, but would each perform equally as well as boat paddles.

Back to your question... I used to work at a shop which carried the T-birds. I like those Epis a LOT. Very good quality for the money and they sustain for DAYS. That being said, it would depend on the job for me as well. I wouldn't use those two basses for the same gig. They have two TOTALLY different sounds.

Edit to add: Those t-birds paint jobs are HOT!!! I dig the stripes and all three finishes!!!