Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you wanna play fast, check this out!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Some of you might know the locust, but I'm sure most of you dont. Anyway, check out this clip of them live. Sometimes you cant see his hands, but he is doubling up with the guitarist. He his the fastest(very good also) bassest I have ever seen. If you look closely, he is wearing gloves. Get that. He plays a Dan Armstrong/ ampeg clear bass. If you think your fav punk bassist is fast and good, check this out. Click on the link, scroll down and click on number 9. 13 is also very good too. Just amazing. Later Joe

http://www.pheer.com/bvideo.php?bId=43

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    meh... I want my 1:23 minutes back

sounded like locusts

[edit] but yeah, he's fast.... I downloaded another just out of morbid curiosity ;) [/edit]

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, that totally sucked.

For the record, they were playing at roughly 125 bpm. Not exactly blistering.

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I didn't say it was normal or the best music ever. They play a differnt style, no crappy 4/4 time stuff. Try and play that with your fingers. There is no way you can look at that and say the guy is slow or no good. I guess you could but, I think he is awesome. Later Joe

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Different? I've seen shows of stuff like that since back in the late 80s. I agreed the guy was fast... but I heard no odd time stuff and don't throw the "pick" stuff at me... a few of my idols use picks regularly and I use them when I need that sound.

My beef is with the vocals.... I'd like to ring the neck of the first guy to try to imitate Cookie Monster on crystal Meth... it's an instant and total turn off for my ears. Put any one that actually sings in there and I'd listen to more... the dudes bass had a pretty cool tone from what I could make out of it.

6. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    Thats was the biggest load of crap I have ever been exposed to :rollno:

7. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I've heard those songs before! When my kids were 2 and 3 years old, they put a bunch of pots and pans upside down on the floor and started banging on them with wooden spoons while screaming at the top of their lungs. We should have copyrighted. I've been robbed!

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL... it sounds like 4 upset infants having a temper tantrum.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    DiPiazza is fast. This guy isn't (also, I hate bands that turn their backs on the audience).

10. hey! the Ottobar is right around where I live!

I hate loving the locusts...

thanks for sharing!

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Musical instruments and lobotomies don't mix.

12. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ

I've been to the ottobar many times. I live in Phoenix now and the scene is very weak. Thats the only thing I miss about DC and Baltimore. I met my wife at Fletchers, watching sick of it all. If you look at the jesus eater video on pheer, I am in it constantly dancing. They opened for darkest hour that night. Anyway, like the locust or not, they are talented musicians. They opened for dillinger escape plan here recently. They cant match the intensity of dillinger, but they get much props. They have toured all over the world, japan, europe, ect... You guys should check out thier song titles. Pretty unique. Later Joe

13. Hmmm... not quite to my musical tastes.

That's gotta be pretty killer having to wear those things over their heads like that. I mean, I'm sure although the fabric that the mask things are made of are light and allow breathing, it just soaks up the sweat and lets it sit against your skin. They all probably have bad acne problems from that.

As for the speed of the bassist, it looks like he's just playing anything, just to be fast, and play those hits in unison. I mean, come on, you can see his hand sliding up and down the fretboard, I'm sure it's not going to make too much of a difference since everything is so distortion-laden.

Watching the audience is kinda funny, too, cause there's no real definite beat, so they just sort of shake their heads around and maybe flail their arms around and stuff. :)

Their energy is very good, though!

14. crap... :rolleyes:

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that sucked major ass

16. A waste of:

1. Skin

2. Oxygen

3. My time

Not necessarily in that order :scowl:

17. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    that was pretty poor

18. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Talk about close minded bassists. The guy can play. Later Joe

19. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    That was quite possibly the worst thing I have heard/seen.

20. That was the worst thing in the whole world.

The bassist can pick fast, and he can move his left hand fast, but he's not doing those things in sync (or even on the same string! He's just strumming really fast across all the strings) and his left hand is moving almost entirely randomly. Those are not talented musicians (or if they are, they don't care and won't show it.)

Edit: He is NOT doubling up with the guitarist, they're both playing randomly. Unless you count "spazzing out with the left hand and strumming all your strings frantically with the right hand" as playing in unison, that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.