1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm destroying the Ozone layer for your grandkids

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    As part of my job I used to toss dozens of Styrofoam Coolers in the dumpster. Not sure how many but we get a few. Tossing out like at least 7 a week. The change came when drugs started to be delivered in one use coolers rather then the ones that had that were made to be reused for years.

At first I tried to give them away. It was a success. People were dropping by and picking almost all of them up. Then I was told I can't do that. So I contacted the nun where I work, Hospital, told her my story and she said she would look into what could be done. She got back to me to ask if anyone had directed us to do anything different. I says no, not heard a word.

Then I moved to the other side of the building and a new Enviro tech has the job. I still fill in every couple of weeks. They are still going to the trash but worse since she does not part them out from the boxes the people who take delivery and the bosses came up with a brilliant solution to their fears of people running off with them. They got a mallet to break up the lids. I asked my super about it he said he'd talk to the big guy. Never got back to me. And the hospital pats itself on the back whenever it can in the press for it's environmental stewardship.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Wow man, what a shame. What are we supposed to do with trash styrofoam?

3. PortlandBass77 and Atshen like this.
  4. RE: hypocrisy - I worked for a school that considered themselves world class & had all the ISO certifications & more.
    In reality they treated the "working class" folks pretty poorly. We had maids lifting heavy tables around campus all the time w/o safety shoes.
    We even had a visit from royalty, a princess, and our workers had worked their asses off to the point of exhaustion when she finally got there. I was surprised no one got injured during the preparation phase.

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Not trying to one up the OP or anything, but I fix cars for a living and although I can and I do perform A/C work, I don't have the proper equipment at my job to do it in an eco-friendly way. So when I have to evacuate an A/C system, I basically vent it into the atmosphere.

Boss won't get the machine, which would make MY life extremely easy. I used it at my last job. You can basically connect it to the car hit a few buttons and go work on another car haha. But at around $2500-$3000 for the machine, he doesn't consider it a worthwhile investment.

petrus61 likes this.
  7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Just curious: What is the potential maximum fine for a hypothetical business caught doing that?

petrus61 likes this.
  8. You know, I don't know the answer to that. I have never cared to look it up cause it isn't my business and I don't think telling him the amount would change anything.

I am pretty sure we'd get found out faster if someone told than randomly getting caught in the act. I vent the Freon into a tub of water to keep the noise down inside the shop, but of course it still rises into the air afterwards.

9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
  10. Guess I'll line up another job just in case. An $18K would shut this place down LOL.

petrus61 likes this.
  11. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Unfortunately most places aren't very green. I suggest, be green whenever possible. I recycle but...sometimes it's just too much stuff, and I just bag it and let the regular truck pick it up.

petrus61 likes this.
  12. I would get the $$$$ out of there if I were you, if the company is caught the boss could try to blame you on it and then it just becomes a case of who the judge is going to believe......

One Drop and petrus61 like this.
  13. RE: Hypocrisy again,

I worked for a satellite television company as an installer.
    We had a week's worth of training about installation, much of which was about safety.
    I had an argument with the trainer right away about their procedures & that the customers aren't going to allow some of the things they insisted we do to be safe.
    It got to the point of him calling in their manager who came in to assure us all that it was how things are done & we are SAFE!
    I was all but told to STFU, because this is how things are done, whether you believe it or not.

Well, cut to the real job sites & you guessed it, the guys on the ground were breaking the rules literally EVERY day.
    At first I thought it was just the one guy, or maybe even the second guy. No, it was all FIVE of the different guys I rode with & they insisted that's how everyone else did it too.

Finally I was at jobs all on my lonesome. I insisted on doing things as per their rules & I couldn't get the jobs done.
    Here's one example:

If you're going to climb on a roof with more than a 4/12 pitch, that's more than 4" of rise in a one foot distance, you have to lift up the shingles & drive a spike into their roof truss to hold your safety harness.
    Well, you can probably guess how many customers were ok with this practice, exactly NONE!

It didn't take long before the boss was riding me about not being able to complete jobs & I explained that I wasn't going to break the rules like every other swinging Richard in the field.
    I know what happens when you break the rules & something goes wrong.
    Eventually they unjustifiably fired me, but they had to continue paying me for a time after that.

fretter likes this.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Fer realz...if you want your job, keep it zipped up. The first person the boss will blame will be the last employee that asked him about getting his crap together. I'm not anti-pro environment, but there is a disconnect between people whose idea of helping the ecosystem is paying a trash collector to take their recycling for them and those who depend on a paycheck to support their families where their contribution to damaging the ecosystem is molecular in comparison to what most politicians expel in fossil fuels flying to wherever.

DreadyDiggs and ChrisB2 like this.
  15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The judge isn't going to throw the book at an employee. The onus is on the business owner. I'm no lawyer, but courts want money and employees don't have as much of that as the owner...and I think it would be easy for the employee to defend himself simply by pointing out that the owner had no such system in place and did not reasonably educate the employees of their diligence to the laws pertaining to disposal. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in that position either, but money talks.

I don't condone taking these actions or support improper disposal of waste. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't have to worry about it aside from my own home waste and how I teach my kids to deal with it. I'm just trying to illustrate what happens in much of the world probably at least 75% of the time. God knows how much better off we'd be if it didn't.

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  16. That reminds me of the weekend I spent partying with a client. He was pretty high on the totem pole, and when I mentioned some of the debauchery to my boss, he told me never to mention it again, if I wanted to stay in my job.
    Not that he was going to fire me, but that it would get back to the client that I have loose lips & then he would find a way to get rid of me.
    The guy was married with children at home, so I could understand if he wouldn't want folks knowing "things".

Wow, I've got an anecdote for every occasion lately.
    :laugh:

DreadyDiggs likes this.
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009

Like me with the coolers and this poster and the AC units, "were only following orders"!

18. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Interesting indeed. Goes on a lot. Where I work we got new bosses two years ago. They are lax compared to the old bosses who ran a tight ship. So we have about half dozen workers who take the bosses up on their leniency on keeping hours. Company rules say you will be sick less then a certain % and being later over a certain amount of minutes means you missed the whole day on your attendance record. They fudge that and I suspect keep two sets of records on that.

I don't go along with that, I am never late and only take time off if it's scheduled or I am actually sick. I told my co worker that it's cool they are flexible with your work time but that she is giving them the rope to hang her if they ever decided to fire her. Happened to the other co worker in my building. Came and went when she placed and it was fine so long as things got done but then she got diagnosed with something bad and asked for family leave. She was fired on the spot. NO recourse. Firing someone for asking for family leave is illegal however all the boss has to do is point to her flawed attendance record. I have to wonder if this is done on purpose. The head boss is ex Air Force and I suspect he knows the ins and outs of working in a major institution and how to cover his back.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    I used to have a job delivering compressed gases of all sorts, from common stuff like oxygen and acetylene for the standard industrial welding/cutting torches to some pretty esoteric mixes of rare gases. One of the things that really struck me, in connection with the basic thrust of the OP's topic, was just how much Carbon Dioxide gas even our small facility vented directly into the atmosphere every day

The gist of the situation was this: a CO2 bottle is filled with liquid Carbon Dioxide from a larger storage tank. When the exchanged bottles come back 'empty' there is always a couple of pounds of CO2 left in 'em (for technical reasons I won't get into here). That residual CO2 must be emptied completely from each bottle before the bottle can be refilled

Now, you would think that from an economic perspective alone (not to mention an environmental one) the smart thing to do would be to hook up the empty bottles to some sort of recovery system, recompress the residual gas back into liquid, and send it back to the main tank. Nope. The standard procedure at our shop - and from what I gathered, elsewhere as well - was to simply line up the returned bottles on the loading dock and open all the shut-off valves, which allowed each tank to drain completely. This not only made a pretty impressive noise, but also vented 100+ pounds of CO2 per truckload directly into the atmosphere.....

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    hey guys,.. don't worry about your kids and our grandchildren. they will surely adapt and have mutated offspring of their own to foward in the coming generations. they may be sickly and look weird, but still be able to continue the parasitic activities humans are known for,.. in the name of science and technology.
    ya'll should take a drive through the Redwood forests of the Great Pacific Northwest and smell the breeze! it's definitely eye opening when you return to Megatropolis and start feeling the difference.
    not judging,.. all of us are guilty by default, imo. :(