Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm... getting... dizzy... help...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jun 2, 2004.

1. I'm trying to digest the information concerning home recording but smoke is coming out of my head now...

Here is the deal: I'm a total dummy like many.

I only know I have a new HP Pavilion with some USB ports, something called SmartMedia and other stuff... I love the demo version of Orion Platinum... I'm looking at a future where I do all my stuff since in Puerto Rico very few people have interest beyond reggaeton, salsa, AOR, and ballads so I'm kinda alone.

(I do have a band, but future scheduling conflicts threaten my plan)

The idea of using Orion for drum and synth tracks and adding bass, guitars, and vocals (on one of them Tascams I guess) is very appealing... I'm thinking going New Order style... but I don't know (bleep) about home recording and I do not have $$$$$ like Trump (YOU ARE FIRED... oops sorry)

So how do I focus on my search without having my brains explode?

How do I build up my lab?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, you have a PC already. Don't let anyone tell you different, all but the soundcard are fine for recording. You need to decide on a budget before you get your rig up to speed. You can spend anywhere from $150 - MANY thousands, though for a DAW, you probably should not need to. So, can you close in on a figure a little more? Not being Trump is no problem.

3. $500, perhaps?
    At most $700 or so... $300-500 vicinity better.

Track 1 guitar
    Track 2 bass
    Track 3 soft synth with drumming (Orion Platinum probably)
    Track 4 voice

or voice and bass or guitar in same track... (singing while playing, duh)

Purpose: Record ideas in decent shape... demo quality.

I will need a mike.

Built-in FX (on software or mixer) for guitar/bass a bonus... (yeah I know get a pedal but still...)

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    your welcome!

6. Hey Blisshead, how do you record? Program, soundcard, signal chain.

Checked out your website and it looks and sounds great!

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks! It's really just there for my own amusement, but that's cool. I use Cubase SX as my main program. (cubase vst 5.1, an older but very capable program comes with the 1820M). For the foolishness on my site I plugged the basses (FBB custom 5 and Conklin GT-7) directly into the E MU 1820M, used the built in effects, E MU's are hardware based, added some things like a little compression and some reverb in Cubase. and that's pretty much it. Some of the more bizzare sound effects are made with an alesis airFX thingy (blister) and EmulatorX played through an M-Audio Oxygen8 keyboard (samurai movies). If you have any spefic questions feel free to PM me.

8. Does the 1820M come with soft synth (for drum and synth parts)?

Does it come with a how to record manual?

Now, that "box"... that's where I would plug the bass, guitar, and or mike... right? So I wouldn't even need the Fostex type recorder... it's all there?

Sounds cool... again I'm thinking doing stuff that's New Order-influenced...

9. Just in case... New Order THE BAND... funky synths and bass solos...

(avoiding misinterpretation... you never know)

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    1) It comes with Cubase, which can use VST instruments. If you spend $599 you get EmulatorX, which is an AMAZING sampler. Comes with many CD's of samples. You can midi them in or use a 100$ oxygen8 keyboard to play any of it live or as a VST instrument, your choice. The regular 1820M with out EmulatorX does not come with samples.

2) yes, extensive manuals included on the CD and downloadable. There is a paper quick start one included.

3) right, you would not need, nor want the Fostex. This box has some very nice mic pre-amps with 2 nuetrik connectors and comes with excellent d/a converters.

With the 1820m and emulatorX (599$ package price) you could do what you want( like New Order), but I bet you'd want a midi controller. You can get one like the Oxygen8 (about $100) fairly cheaply, or any number of higher end (wider range keyboard, more control from the keyboard). M-Audio makes quite a few.

edit: sorry to sound like such a salesman, I just got this rig a little while ago and am still shocked at how much I can do with it and the quality I'm getting out of it.

11. I've heard about Sonar. Is that recording software like Cubase? How do the two compare?

Does the 1820M come with THE recording software? Is that the Cubase you talked about?

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It comes with Cubase vst for free, which is very capable software and more than enough for almost everyone. You can however, take advantage of the numerous upgrade offers that Steinberg offers to EMU customers to get one of the more advanced Cubase systems for a comparable price to Sonar. Sonar is a good system (yes, I have tried it) but it's not as smooth and bug free as Cubase. I believe that to be fact, not just my opinion. Some web research comparing the latest Sonar product (Producer) and Cubase (SX 2) will say the same thing.