1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

im gonna buy a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davepikey81, Jun 9, 2011.

1. davepikey81

davepikey81

Mar 11, 2011
    las vegas
    comercial user
    i want to buy something new thats gonna serve me as both an investment and a great sounding bass....
    i currently play 2 fenders and a warwick..i play in a punk rock band and im looking to spend between 1500 and 3000 on my new bass
    ive been looking at either a vintage pbass a pre ernie ball musicman... also a cool rickenbacker 4001,yamaha bb2024x and the new les paul gold top are in the running....any other suggestions?

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    IMHO, vintage fender p.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    +1

4. Bonemachinebass

Bonemachinebass

Mar 27, 2011
    I'm a huge Ric fan, so I'd say check them out in depth. They play great, sound great, and hold value pretty well.

5. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know. I think great sounding bass (which I assume means you will play it) and investment do not go hand in hand. As with most things, condition is critical when valuing an object. I would be too worried something would happen to the bass. Very easy to bump into something while on stage, smack the headstock on a low ceiling, etc. If you want an investment, buy a mutual fund. If you want a good sounding bass, play a bunch and get something you love. Don't worry about whether it will appreciate. Just my $0.02.

6. Well here's my 2% of a dollar.... try a USA Peavey Cirrus.... I just got one... and while looking they weren't even close to being on the radar.... played a gig out of town (3.5 hours out of town) where I picked one up after playing a Ball Reserve Stingray... and a few G&Ls and many other nice basses.... when I picked it up I automatically when "hmmm I like the way this feels"... .then plugged it in and made the other basses in the place cry out of jealousy.... even the drummer was amazed by the tone... THE DRUMMER..... other than that I'd try some MTD's and Spectors... don't forget to see what is going on in the classifieds here.... great people to work with and great deals =D

But with any purchase of the sort... go out and try it... what I like may not be your "pint o guinness"..

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    G&L 2500

8. davepikey81

davepikey81

Mar 11, 2011
    las vegas
    comercial user
    one of my friends also suggested a 74-76 gibson ripper...anyone else have any thoughts on this......they look rad

9. project2501

project2501

Feb 26, 2011
    Be careful with "vintage" p-basses. You don't want to buy something shady or possibly damaged. If you're willing to spend that kind of money you should look into a Fender Custom Shop bass. You can get one used with 50s or 60s specs.

10. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Yeah Man

11. davepikey81

davepikey81

Mar 11, 2011
    las vegas
    comercial user
    i think im gonna go with the gibson ripper they look amazing and sound ballsy as ****

12. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow. I wish I could make big decisions that fast.