Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm gunna do it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 2, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    tomorrow i'm going to call up stambaugh and work out the final and small details in my specs for my custom bass (like thickness and neck dimensions)

the specs as of now:

-32" 24 fret bolt-on 4 string/custom shape
    -ebony fingerboard w/ custom 12th fret inlay
    -maple/ebony/bloodwood/ebony/maple 5 piece neck
    -birdseye maple top and back (he just got sum "blistered" stuff in he thinks i'll like)
    -african mahogany core (possibly with one or two "tone chambers" (ala warwick TCS)), contoured and rounded profile.
    -3 bartolini x-4 pickups (2 single coil, 1 humbucking) with 5 way switch and series/parallel/single coil for single coils (singles grouped at "sweet spot")
    -Bartolini 2 band eq, stacked, separate passive tone, and main volume.
    -active/passive switch
    -ebony "set-in" knobs
    -hipshot a-style bridge (black)
    -sperzel locking tuners (black)

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Are you sure you want to go medium scale?

Rob

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds interesting, except for the scale length, but I guess it isn't me that's going to play it. As long as you think you'll be happy with it, go for it.:)

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, im still deciding. whats the drawbacks to that?

i learned on a fender mustang from 85. and i loved it. it was 30 " short scale.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I played an Alembic spoiler for years. 32" scale like you mentioned. After many years of it being my only bass, I started trying others as I got back into playing hardcore. I discovered that I prefered a 34 inch scale. To me, it has much more tone and string response. Takes a while to get used to but once you do, I dont think you'll go back. I've even owned 35" scale 5 strings. A bit much for me. I prefer 34"

Most basses are 34" scale. Especially 4 strings.

Try some Get a feel Go with you gut feeling.

Good luck. Bottom line is order what you like. Only my advice

Rob