I'm in love!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott, Apr 8, 2004.

1. My local music store just recently began to stock Warwicks. After hearing so many great things about them here on TB, I couldn't help but go and try one for myself. I ended up trying a thumb and am now completely in love. I feel like Mike Myers in Wayne's World when he just keeps going back and playing the vintage Fender Strat. I do have enough money for it, it's about $2000 canadian before tax, but I don't really need a new bass since I've only been playing for about a year and my bass is still treating me alright. Anyways, thought I'd just share that little story with you. If you want, share your own Warwick love stories.

Scott :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play a few Warwicks at my local music store whenever Im there. I dont need one/cant afford one right now but maybe in a few years i could get myself a Proline Corvette or something. Ive always liked that bass.....Im not sure though. They are pretty expensive and for $1200 (American) i could get a used Elrick (they are my favorite luthier basses , looks alone, havent played any though).
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Before you fall too madly in love with a Thumb, try playing one with a strap, standing up for about 2 hours. That does it, for a lot of people. They are awesome sounding basses, but have horrid neck dive.

4. As the owner of a Thumb 5, I totally agree!! BUT, If you move the strap pins (on older models) it helps alot, also I use a 3" wide leather strap to help out. It takes some getting used to. It puts the weight in a wierd place on your shoulder, but I'm used to it now.
  5. lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    same problem with the weight and the neck 's dive !!! after one hour of playing with my thumb 6, I'got my shoulder on fire even when I use a very comfy strap !!! anyway it sounds very nice for sure.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ever played an Alembic? ;) especially the syymetrical ones with short upper horns, the Series I and II. Even though i have not ever seen one around here, therefore not played any, but I've seen a few of them in action and heard about the issues...
    But I have seen basses with even worse neckdive, too.

BTW the Thumb was designed to be played at about chest-height, and in a 15-30 degrees angle - and it can do that :p