1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm kinda thinking about going back to a 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Much as I like the little bit of extra range and couple more note options I have with a five string bass, I'm not sure if I use the B string enough to warrant owning a bass equipped with it. It's fun and all, but i really think I'd be just as happy with a 4 string and one of those D-Tuners from Hipshot. I might try to sell my 5 and get myself into a Corvette 4 string or something.

Anybody else ever gone back down to 4 after having been on a 5 for a while? Anybody ever regretted it?

2. Hi!

Never experienced this! I'll move to 5 soon...
    But some BP near my home told me I'll regret to go 5, They came back to 4 later.....
    Some others (less...) told me they play both because they like to have 4 on some songs and 5 on others. This allow them to have a "security string"....

Just to share what they told to me!

Vince

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Despite my use of extended range basses (5, 6 and 7), I never left the 4. There's something just so "right" about the 4 string bass. I really like it for a lot of music. I also play a 4 string EUB. No rule that says you gotta have one or the other, however. Play whatever you want!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a 4 string that i am quite proud of (my Godin, mmmm) and a 5 string that plays really nicely and sounds really aggressive (Spector Q5). The Godin is more comfortable for me because ive been playing a 4 string about 4 times longer than ive been on a 5. The 5 string is fun for certain stuff, but i would never only have a 5 string, i would miss the 4. If you have a 4 that you like, a 5 would be ok. If the 5 is your main bass and you dont have a 4 string thats good, meh..

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ever since I got my 5, I've only but barely picked up my 4 string bass, and I don't for a second regret getting it because I really do enjoy playing it. Mostly I'm all about simplicity and the stripping away of things that aren't necessary. I dig having that extra string there just in case I do need it and because it means I don't have to tune and detune strings for different stuff, but in the "music" I write, I rarely - if ever - go that low down. My 4 string Jazz is a turd and is just a place for me to keep my Seymour Duncan Jazz Quarter Pounders out of the way until I find something to do with them, by the way, so that not an option. I'm just not sure if I need a 5, since there are mechanical things out there that make the detuning of the E string for a little bit of useful extra range easy enough that it's definitely an option.

6. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i think 4 strings are completely the way to go, however, dont sell your 5, just keep it! having two basses never hurt. i dont know how you'd get the money for a 4 but i wouldnt not sell your 5 string, if its the only one you have

7. magical_man

magical_man

Aug 27, 2003
    personaly, i love 4 stringed basses, me and my a-series fender, where a team.... i love it soo, anyway, 4 string is the only way for me...

8. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I have sold 6-8 multi stringed basses and 1 4 string that I have owned... I now only have 4 strings... I just like them better.

9. You're not alone so don't sweat it....I would consider it a sign of maturity that you're being honest with your needs as a bassist.
    Chances are when you do get back to a four, that you'll approach it with renewed enthusiasm and a desire to explore what it has to offer.
    Don't get me wrong, Fives have a definite place, but personally I think alot of ppl who are novices are attracted to the looks and they jump too soon and end up actually being in even more of a rut than when they where playing a four. I'm talking basic harmonic knowledge here, not how many notes you have on the bass.

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I recently bought a Stingray 5. Love my Fender Jazz. Play both but have move to where I play mostly the SR 5 love the sound and don't worry about how much I use the B string.
    Remember on a 4 string you aren't using all of them at once. G string used to get little use by me on the 4, as I expanded my playing I use them all now.

I still enjoy playing my 4 but really see no diffence in what I play at a gig using my new 5. IMHO I would get a 4 if the 5 was causing problems other than a string that wasn't getting used all the time.

Rule I have is to try and play what sounds good and feels good so go play a 4 and see how you feel about your 5er.

tk

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The way I see it, every bass has its use. I'm not a big fan of the B string either. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. So, when I had my 6-string built, I had it strung EADGCF. So, what do I play these days? I play 6-string in the studio where I monkey with solo bass music. I also play the 6-string out some, but for gigs I still predominantly use my 4-string basses.

On the other hand, I know some people that don't play anything but 5-string basses. Do what you feel you need to do. If 5-string works for you, then play 5. If 4-string works for you, the play 4.

BTW, the big thing I have against the B string is 35" scale. I just find that it feels to long for me and I'm just not comfortable with it. But again, that is my personal choice. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way that I do.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i sold my 5........and darned if i don't want another one
    but honestly, thats just for extended range on some songs
    overall the 4 is the bass 90% of the time
    actually i just got an 8-string (the octave kind) and i'm having a blast!!
    to me the freaky thing about playing both is having mental erasure moments where you dont know which string is which
    i know a lot of cats who play the 5 exclusively who get lost on a 4 just making the adjustment

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I think of 4 and 5's as the same thing, 5's just have an extra string, use at will. I love my 5 string. But I do love extremely low notes.

14. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    After going 5, I'll never go back. The B makes an amazing thumbrest.

15. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I just got a 5 a little while ago and it's taken me some time to adjust to it. I still don't think I have, fully. The main advantage, as I see it, is that if I need those extra notes I don't have to detune or switch bases. That's about it. I am starting to figure out the extendend range thing and make use of it a bit also.

If you don't play music that requires lower than an E, or D with the detuna thing, then stick with a 4 by all means. I would prefer a 4, but I play a lot of metal and heavy rock and the fact is that many bands these days tune to D, C, or even B. If I played jazz or something I would never even consider a 5, but I know even some jazzers like them. I think the bottom line is just to play what you like and what gets the job done.

16. that is a very subjective matter but my experience is this:

I have been playing bass for more than 20 years and a few years ago I got a 5 string and used it for almost two years exclusively but once I got back to the 4 strings i never used a 5 strings again, I ended up selling it. Now i have a bass tuned in regular tuning and another in BEAD tuning.

17. Well, if you like the feel of a 5er, keep it. However, the fours I've played have always felt better. Smaller neck and perfect string spacing (on a Jazz, especially, according to my tastes). So if it's the four string feel you prefer and you don't use the B often, do it!

18. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've also been thinkin' of trading my 5 banger down to a 4 string. It just doen't feel "right" anymore. Not since I got my G&L. Of course, this might just be the "Oh, gee whiz!" new bass-itis.

Now for the off bit: I'd get a 6+ in a heard beat. I guess to me, a 5er is sorta like doing the extended range thing half-assed.

And, there's nothing like rocking on a 4 string. Something just "works," y'know? And for what my Spector is worth, I could pick up another G&L. Mmmm... P bass done right...

19. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have also, at one time or another, thought of going back to the four string. At the moment I have two fivers that I love and dont plan on getting rid of soon. I think what I will do instead is add a four string to my collection. I think differently on a four string as compared to a five. My creativity and visualization are altered.

20. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I get exactly what you're saying here.

I dunno. I dig playing it, and I'd ideally like to just have one of each. I think mostly I'm just impatient. :D