1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Dec 8, 2018.

1. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    There's a bass in the back of my closet that I haven't touched in about 2 years...

The scary part: It has 2 9v batteries and I have not changed them during all that time :nailbiting: I'm afraid to open it. What horrors lie within?

2. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    nothing, you'll be fine, open it and change it. then consider going passive

bassliner50 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    As of right now, going active is the only way for me to 100% eliminate noise and hum.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

In all seriousness, the worst that could happen is that they started corroding, discharging that white powdery stuff, but you can easily clean the terminals with an old toothbrush and Deoxit D-5, but then again, maybe they haven't.

MattZilla and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Takes way more than 2 years to start leaking. I've had one 7-10 years old, some corrosion on the battery but bass is fine.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    lermgalieu, dBChad and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  6. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I’d be more fearful of strings left on that long.

MattZilla and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Hey, they're not even broken in yet. Strings on my acoustic-electric are 10+ years old, and most of my basses have strings at least 5 years old.

About those batteries - they can leak any time. Get them out immediately. Don't store it with batteries in it.

MrLenny1, DJ Bebop, Razman and 2 others like this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    th?id=OIP.

You will never find out as long as you don' t open it!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

9. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Why would anyone ever remove their strings? You mean, people change strings on their bass? :laugh:

Drought? Plague? No big deal, I'll live.

Disney Channel Stars? :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: I may not sleep tonight.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    On a bass? A band member asked me how old the flats on my Jazz Bass are ... I looked in the case, and saw that I installed them in 2011. I've done at least 400 gigs and as many rehearsals with them since. They got sweet after five years ... :laugh:

On topic ... 9V batteries don't tend to leak as early as 1.5V AA, AAA, C or D cells. Just replace with fresh, brand name alkaline batteries and you'll be fine.

11. Ha Ha Ha, string installed in 2011, I say, I say, son, those sound like new strings to me. Boy, kids today...
    Foghorn_Leghorn.

12. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I use some alcohol on a Q-tip to clean corrosion.

13. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I wonder if there might be some Chinese knockoff Duracell batteries on the market. I've found heavily corroded batteries in two items that were less than two years old. One was a battery tester, of all things. The other was a metronome that I ended up throwing away because I couldn't get the battery compartment open. It could be that the batteries I bought were very old, but that's not likely since I bought them at a high-traffic store. I have noticed that some of the batteries that I've purchased recently seemed to be poorly manufactured; things like 9v's with the bottom bulging a bit.

BurnOut likes this.
  14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    You can possibly clean the terminals as mentioned. In the worst case you might meet to replace the battery compartment altogether if you can find a replacement. I'd ask the company for a replacement in that case.

15. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I've had 9V's in active basses for years with no issues. If it was a Pignose amp sitting in your closet for two years with the AA batteries still in it, then I'd worry. :eek:

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks for reminging me i need to check a couple of active closet queens.

Mili likes this.
  17. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Well, we can all speculate here, but wouldn't it be easier just to go look?

18. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I was just thinking about this..I have a couple of active basses I haven't touched in awhile.

I'm really tempted to remove the batteries...in my experience they can and will leak

19. Geogio

Geogio

Jan 15, 2013
    Thise batts should be okay. But they need to come out. If ur storing for any length of time, leave the Batts out.

20. I switched to a passive bass for this reason... too much hum / static from my Ibanez