1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm searchin for the right gig car!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassplayershane, Sep 11, 2008.

1. What is a gig car big enough for an upright to fit in but is really cheap to run? Any ideas? I'm an Aussie so some cars/models might not be available here eg, Chev. Was thinking a car like a Ford Modeo diesel wagon or Mazda 6 wagon.:meh:

Cheers!

2. If you don't mind folding seats down and having no passengers while you haul your stuff, then perhaps a Toyota Matrix or a Pontiac Vibe. (same thing) My sister has a matrix and gets excellent milage, and I'm sure if you fold down the back seats, and the front passenger seat, you could get an upright in there.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I ended up buying a Saab 9-3 (-98) hatchback recently. It's not exactly the most economical, but I bought it partially because of the big trunk, I can easily fit in my 410 cab there. With the seats folded down, I could probably get in a double bass and my amp with its both cabs if I wanted.

Perhaps you could check out the diesel versions of a Saab 9-3 or 9-5, hatchback or wagon.

I had a Mazda 626 HB (-94) previously and it fitted a lot of stuff too

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use a 2002 VW GTI (hatchback, and my rig and bass gear fit easily. I could put a lot more in if I fold down both sides of the back seat. That may or may not be a suitable solution for you.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Toyota Matrix would make a great gig-mobile. The seats fold down flat and give plenty of room for storage. They are economical on gas, and are reliable.

I like Subaru Wagons, and in particular the Impreza. Lots of storage room, but small enough to easily parallel park in the an urban area. Doesn't use up much gas, is reliable, and it's AWD drive which comes in handy if you have hard winters.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Honda Element

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would second the Element, but that's what I roll so take that into consideration. Most people will just list whatever car they have.

It sounds like you're looking for some kind of wagon/hatchback. Anything with seats that fold down to give you a large cargo space will do you right, like a Matrix, Honda Civic hatch, VW hatch, etc.

8. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    older or newer scion xb. newer will get you more room, older will be cheaper to run and maintain

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Kia Sedona. With the seats removed I can get 90% of PA and all my bass stuff.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I bought my first year Honda Element with gigging as a major consideration. Five years later, it would still be at the very top of my list. I think it's a pretty amazing vehicle.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm not sure if an upright would fit, but I'm amazed how much gear can be loaded into a Honda Fit.

12. an old VW bus. Cheap on gas, lasts forever and always starts up in snowy weather.

13. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    turbobricks.com

old volvo 740 or 760 wagon

get the turbo

al

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I love my Element. It's simply the best 'moving-stuff' car invented. Since June I've moved my girlfriend's apartment (and her roommates stuff), couches, chairs tables, loads of band gear, plants, several trips to Ikea, etc.

Modular, comfortable and fun to drive. The seats pull out in less than five minutes, and go back in even quicker. They also fold up to the sides for instant space.

15. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I've loved my 2001 Ford Ranger since I bought it new. I put a camper shell on it for gear. It's a stepside, so it looks a little different. If anyone goes that route, get the extra little windows in the front corners of the cap for visibility (we're talking $50). You'll thank yourself. Even with the smaller bed I can fit my PA and bass rig. Just make sure you pack creatively. Of course you'll need an extended cab if you're going to haul more than 1 person... Personally I'm sticking with my wife and one underage roadie. I might get a second miniature roadie, but I'm going to need a "ladder" rack.
    :smug: