1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im so annoyed!,i really need your help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrhocson, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok so just when i was about to order the american standard pbass my mom tells me its too expensive,and said that i could only get a bass with a maximum price of $950 she said $1400 is way too much so im back to square one now im really thinking of the aerodyne jazz bass.....any other good basses you guys could tell me in that price range ?

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Slow down, take a breath, and use punctuation.

Are you willing to buy something on the used market, or will you only buy new? If you're willing to buy used, you can get a ton of great things for <$950.

3. How about a used MIA P-Bass? Good craftsmanship really can overcome the stigma of a used piece of gear.

4. Used MIA P Bass. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    if your mom has any sayso in how much you can spend on a bass, then you dont have much choice with that. But for $950 you can still get a very good choice of P-basses, esp. used like here on TB cl's.

My mom also told me I was spending too much for my basses. But I'm 50 yrs old and I dont listen to her as much as I used to. My wife says that as well, when it comes to my gear, I dont really let anyone sway me. That usually comes with age, well sometimes. :D Enjoy that new bass. :cool:

6. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    Nothing wrong with a used one if it's in good condition and it's well within your price range. Check online dealers too. There were some out there that had't raised their Fender prices yet. Check the classifieds here. There's always someone selling something and you may find something you like better for less money.

7. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    order a Japanese Fender from ishibashi.

8. Ha! Same here. Not quite as old as you are but if my mom drops by and I'm working on or playing a new bass it's always the same line: "What? Another one? How many does that make now?"

:p

9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    There are curently three used MIA Ps for $1000 or less on eBay.

It's your mother's money, and a lot of parents couldn't or wouldn't pony up a grand for an instrument for their children. If you can get the same bass for less money just because it's been played a while (and may have a few scratches), maximize her generosity now, and buy new stuff when you're out on your own. Just my opinion.

10. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    You sould be able to find plenty of good gear, new or used, for $950 or less - a higher price doesn't always imply a better bass! I was surprised at the new prices on Fender's basses. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot for many players. Certainly some will continue to buy even with the new prices because they "must have a Fender", but there are now more better basses selling for less than a Fender as a result of their price hikes.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    your mom is being pretty cool shelling out a grand for a bass. look in the TB classifieds and i bet you'll find an awesome MIA fender for less than 950 shipped.

12. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Get a used Lakland Bob Glaub. (maybe get a part-time job and save up for the difference for a new US Fender P)

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is it her money or yours? If she's paying for it, then quitcherbitchin and find the best bass you can for the money she's willing to spend. You should also thank your lucky stars for your good fortune; the most money my folks could ever afford to spend on gear for me when I was growing up was $12 for a beat up Silvertone acoustic guitar with a big hole in the back that my mom found at a thrift shop.

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!"
    - Shakespeare

14. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Definitely listen to your mother. I'd recommend playing some G&L's if you like Fenders, but you may have a hard time finding them in your area to play.

Now the father in me says "How much have you put away for schooling?" That's a rhetorical question, just make sure you're saving. (I just heard a statistic that the average american's savings amounts to negative numbers. I blame wall street for our economy.)

15. You could always wait, get a summer job and make up the difference yourself. :bag:

16. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Just to chime in on what others have said, I just got a MIA 06 P-Bass mint, case candy intact, for under $700. The $950 limit is no problem in this economy. Just shop around. Oh an your Mom is pretty cool (and says you need to clean your room).

17. It's simple. If it's yer mom dough, then you shouldn't be "so angry" but "so grateful". Then, with that dollar, you could get very far, so don't cry about it.

And getting a part-time job may not be harmful. Specially for humble oneself up a little bit. Besides there's few things more satisfying in a bassist's life than saying "this here is MY bass". You tend to bitch a lot less when you pay for your own stuff.

Last but not least: Must you have a Fender? consider some other options. I know what I'd do with $950...

18. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA

Yeah me too....pay some bills!

19. some people don'T know the chances they have, for 950 i could have a sweet fiver and could even buy a kahler for it....

20. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like my dad. About 6 years ago, I ordered a new MTD 535(When Gard was still at Bass Central). My parents just happened to drop by while I was still at work, and of all days, when my MTD is finished. Gard calls for me to tell me the good news and my Mom or Dad answers and finds out how much I paid for it <$3000:eek: My parents freak out, and to this day I get the ... "How many basses do you have now"? "How much was that bass?", ETC. I'm in my 30's btw:rollno:

Back on topic..... I would definetly go used. It took me a while to get over the stigma of a used bass too. But once you realize how nice many of these "used" basses are, and how much $$$ you are saving, you'll never buy new again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.