i'm stumped...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Oct 22, 2005.

1. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i'm looking to buy a new bass right now, probably from Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or the likes cuz they are pretty close to where i live, or maybe off Ebay if i find a nice deal. i'm just stumped on what i want to get.

i'm looking at the Gallien Krueger Backline 210 ampwise. i wanna get something affordable(> $300).

i don't really want to get a Squire cuz they are just a little too basic for me(aka i might as well just stick with the bass i have now, and all i know is the one i have now is an Epiphone something with EMG pickups). i do like Fenders, though. they fit nicely in my hand because i have pretty small hands.

i also like Ibanez basses. they fit kinda like a Fender. specifically talking of the SRX500 and 700.

what bass/amp combo would you suggest for my budget of $800?

i've done my searching and just come out more confused then when i started. so any help would be greatly aprreciated :) .
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Regarding the bass I would definitely try before you buy. If you are looking to spend around 500 on the bass you could get something pretty nice on Ebay or even brand new. Ibanez srx 500 and 700 models seem to get good reviews. The new Yamaha BB 614 ( I think that's the model) also gets high praise. Then there are the MIM Fenders ( standard jazz or precision ) which are inexpensive although quality control seems to be an issue. Spector also makes some excellent basses in your range ( Q4 Pro, Legend). This is only a handful of the different basses available. The important thing is that you are comfortable playing the bass and it sounds good. Check owner reviews on sites like harmonycentral.com for further info on the models you are interested in.

Regarding the amp, if you are going to gig with a band or friends or whatever, I would suggest at least a 200 watt combo. Behringher, Peavey, SW and Yorkville all make affordable amps that will do the job. Hope this helps.
  3. ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    The HARTKE kickback amps are pretty cool for the money too...you would probably have to mic it up if you were playing out somewhere.
  4. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    even better, they have a di built in!
  5. I had a srx505, it was a great bass but I am a 4 string kind of guy. it sound great mean low B and the pickups are awsome the eq gets harsh at high settings just like most things in life. but the back of the bass is flate and being someone like me with a little cut it makes the bass stick out where as my jazz has a cut out that matchs my gut and is very comfortable. :)
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for the Hartke Kickback. For a 100w amp powering a single 10", that little thing moves some air. And it's ridiculously cheap. Hartke is by far not the best amp in the world, but it's hard to beat that little Kickback in its size and price class.

As for bass, Carol Kaye plays an SX 700 and loves it. If you are willing to accept Ibanez' crappy customer service, it's a pretty good way to go. I'd probably get one of them before I'd get a cheap Fender, but not before I'd get a good Fender.
  7. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for your thoughts. i'll go check out some Hartke amps. i did a bunch of research on real Fenders yesterday, specifically the Deluxe line. i like the P bass specs, but have yet to try one. i will definately try to get to Guitar Center and stuff more freqently now. i was practicing for an upcoming conference yesterday and the other bass player had this gorgeous Fender fretless jazz. dark red. it just motivated me so much to look into Fenders. so yea... i'll be researching the basses you guys mentioned. and thanks again!