Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm torn... EBS or SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Two totally different amps in almost every aspect. I'm talking about the SWR SM-900 and the EBS TB650. Played both today, side by side, and found this.

SM-900:
    IMO best solid state head I've found that suits my style/tone. Great EQ section and plenty of power but still has the solid state kind of flat sound. However, SansAmp RBI fixes that right up, or helps it out a little. Plus, it's probably gonna require a little less maintenance and headache since it's solid state.

TB650:
    I've never played a tube head before. I know ***? right. But I did today and I know now what everyone raves about. This thing sounded killer and suited my tone really well. But from what I've heard it's going to annoy the crap out of me dealing with tubes and luggin it around.

So I'm torn. Worry about buying tubes and carrying this heavy head around, or buy solid state and fix it with a pre. Both sound awesome and there's not that big of a price difference. Another question, this being my first tube head experience, I need some suggestions on others to try. No Aguilar, I'm not robbing any banks to buy gear. PLEASE HELP.....I'M CLOSE TO MAKING MY DECISION AND THIS CRAP HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR LIKE THE LAST YEAR. SOMEBODY HELP ME PULL THE TRIGGER. thanks. :D

2. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    If that was the TD-650 then they're both tube hybrids.

Both great amps. Go with the sound you like best out of your cabs.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the EBS may be a little "less sterile" than the SWR. The EBS works at full power at a 2ohm load. Which means you gonna need 2 4ohm cabs to get maximum power. Running at 2ohm IMHO can be dangerous and have a greater chance for something to go wrong. If it does, u Brookly Gear is great to work with, but it may take awhile if something breaks.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    SWR is a little to sterile for me.

EBS is smooth and a little more versatile IMHO.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    You could ask Marcus Miller what he thinks ;).

Whatever works for you, no one can make this call but you.

Peace.
    Starchild.

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    One thing to consider....which one would likely be easier to service if something bad happens? Other than that....toss up.

7. Thanks a bunch. I'm currently playing in a group and the guitar player has a got an SM-900 that I've been playing through for the last couple of months. Haven't had much time to mess around with eq settings, but right now the settings are custom taylored by Mr. Adam Nitti, he recorded the bass tracks on this groups demo, and it's sounding killer. I believe the trigger has been pulled my good friends. Well, in about two months, but the decision has been made. Thanks again. :hyper:

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Both have tube preamps! I REALLY prefer the EBS to the SWR - just sounds better to me ears.

Dan K.

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    If you're concerned with "fixing" the SWR's sound with an RBI, why not just buy a power amp and use the RBI as a stand alone pre? I've run a Carvin power amp with an RBI for a few years now and have been very happy with the results. (In fact, it's the only set up I've stuck with for awhile so something must be right). The RBI has enough tone in it for me, without having to lug around another head. just a thought.

10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    SWR and EBS both sound a bit sterile to me... Aguilar has more tube-sound and isn't that sterile.... not to make the decision even harder, but it is worth thinking ..

11. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    EBS td650 without a doubt!

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS EBS

That is all. No seriously, they are AMAZING amps.

13. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    You really cant go wrong with anything by EBS, Fafner = Funk Machine.

Peace
    Starchild.

14. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a SM900, and it sounds great, but it is a bit sterile. It has me dreaming of tube amps.

The fan is lound as $%!#, but if you're playing loud music, it's not a problem. Just something to consider.

I've had my SWR for almost 5 years now, and the only problem it has had was the power switch went out. And that was 2 months ago.

15. well i like my old trusty SWR 220pro and the 900 is a great amp but i would go with the EBS everytime i could.
    i´ve used the ebs-1(pre) with different pwramps including putting it into the line in on my V4BH and just getting great sounds.
    love their pedals and am curently thinking of trading my V4 for a fafner.
    you can´t go wrong with a td-650 or a fafner. go for it!

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SM-900 user here. One thing that a lot of SWR users do is to change out the pre-amp tube. I'm using a Groove Tubs Mullard clone tube, and the difference it makes is both subtle and profound.

17. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Anyone have an opinion or experience with the Eden WT800?

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great if you are running two cabs at 4ohms or 1 cab at 8 ohms. The amp only runs full power bridged at 8ohms... not 4. I had one and it was broken quite often. Got rid of it. I have a Wt300 that sounds just as good (maybe better) and is a lot more reliable. Not loud enough for most things I do (its my practice amp), but they do sound good

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I owned a Fafner for about 4 or 5 years and found it beat SWR in all taste tests I'd ever experienced, in tone alone. However, to boost it even further above the SWR SM-900, there are some interesting features in the EBS TD 650 that make it a winner, in my book:

1. The preamp is solid state, as is the power amp. EBS employs a separate tube section BETWEEN the preamp and power amp.

2. Phantom power is a really cool feature.

3. The EBS TD 650 has a built-in speaker simulator.

4. The EBS is loaded with the infamous EBS compressor, which is an amazing compressor!

5. The eq on the EBS has so much headroom you could do just about anything!

20. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I own it and it kick some serious booty. I have had it for a little over a year now. It is so versatile it's scary. I run 4 ohm cabs off of it (stereo) and it is way to loud to turn up to 3.