1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

imac with digital audio outs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by r05c03, Sep 29, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    So, I notice that the new iMacs, the intel chips have digital audio outs, not analog. If I am recording through something like a Presonus Firepod, does the digital out create problems for playback through the monitors? Thanks

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If the new iMacs are like the iMac G5 I have, then it's a combined analog/digital output port. You can stick a 1/8" jack and it'll feed analog out or stick a digital connector in there (not sure which type, Apple's site just says headphone/optical digital audio output) to get digital output.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The digital I/O jack looks like a slightly longer 1/8" analog audio jack made of plastic. It's an industry standard, I've got the same setup on my old Creative Nomad 3. You can get the cables at any electronics store (Best Buy, Micro Center, etc) or online.

This port will not hurt your Firepod's playback. Just use the Firepod instead.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021