Importance of keyboard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Everyone says to learn the keyboard for chordal purposes and stuff...isnt guitar good for that too? Whats the diff? Thanx.

And whats the advantage or learning drums or a wind instrument (for phrasing)?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's much easier to work out chords and harmony on the keyboard than on a guitar (particularly all the inversions). Since you can buy Casio and Yamaha boards at WalMart for $50, it's also a no-brainer to have a keyboard around.

Learning drums MIGHT help you with your rhythmic independence.

Learning other instruments in general helps you understand music from a wider perspective than just playing bass but it's not obligatory that you do so to be a good bassist.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You can see the interval relationships for scales and chords better on a piano than you can a guitar better on a keyboard than you can a guitar. As far as I know, on a piano there is only one way you can play the scale. Yes you can play the scale in various places on the board. (like guitar/bass) but there is only one fingering for the scale and I believe this is what helps you to see the interval relationships better.

I'm no pianist, but I do dabble with them. This is the only thing I can see so far as to why. I'm sure someone who has much more experience than I do will come along and point out other reasons why you should use a keyboard too.
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It makes sense to know at least one of them. Keyboard is easier to visualise intervals on.

I don't think there's any particular advantage in learning a wind instrument. That said, I had played wind instruments for about ten years before I picked up a bass.

You can pick up phrasing by learning wind/brass solos on your bass. It's an old and cliched trick, but it really works. Don't go straight to Coltrane though.