Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IMPORTANT REMINDER !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SMASH, Dec 31, 2005.

1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Time to update your list of serial numbers.

You know that paperwork you keep with serial numbers, descriptions and pics of your gear? The one kept in a safe place seperate from said gear?

Yep, you probably have bought and sold a few pieces since the last time you updated it (probably a few weeks after the last time you were ripped off, right? ... human nature eh?), so set aside some time this week to bring it up to date.

:bassist:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Great advice!

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Good call SMASH! Although I'm not a "buy-sell-buy" type I have all my serial numbers and important info collected in a single place, and backed up on my PC.

Also something I like to do today or tomorrow: change batteries in batches, making sure to mark the date on the case with a Sharpie.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I shall do that. Thanks for the heads up!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    +1 what else do I have to do while I'm waiting for Bears/vikings

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thank You so much for the reminder! I was going to do that a while back and I just forgot about it, doing it every New Year is a great way to remember.

George

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to update for awhile now. :)

8. One of those things I've always meant to do.

Thanks Smash, I got it started today. I will just have to take all the pic's.

Here is a little tip, besides the list I made that I will keep with my receipts I am going to keep a copy on my computer and a copy of the list and pics on a cd. Ya never know, ya know.

Plus for all those folks that might have a copy of Microsoft Works there are some templates all set up to do different types of list. They are easy to modify and you can add a column where you can place a value. It will automatically total that column.

9. Great advice! Thanx!

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Great reminder!

11. I've never made this list...

Serial #'s, pics, what else should be included?

12. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    what is this list you guys are talking about? Should every bassist do it? What is its importance?

13. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

it's a list of all your gear including all the serial numbers, physical descriptions and pictures if you can

it comes in handy if, God forbid, your gear gets stolen.

On another note, I have to say thanks too Smash...I needed the reminder

14. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    so just like a list on a paper in your room somewhere? Or is it some internet thing?:confused:

:( :rollno: yes, i know im a n00b:bag: :bawl:

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's best to have two copies, and keep them in separate places.

I have an electronic copy on my work laptop, and my home PC.

I also have a hard copy in my file drawer at work.

16. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Wow Smash Good call!!! but what if you own an SX and the serial number is just a sticker on the back of the headstock?! lol.. I need to get it burned into the headstock or something..

17. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Where would you find the serial number? I can't seem to find one on my Washburn.

18. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    look on the neck plate, back of the headstock or front of the headstock.

19. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    If you're instrument doesn't have a serial number (a number of mine don't), you need to have something that uniquely identifies it. If you have a bolt on neck, consider etching a number or your name in that joint. Etching it on the bottom of the bridge or something is also a good idea. Maybe under a pickguard or a thumbrest or a pickup cover? Just somewhere so that you can point it out and say, "See? That's mine!"

TRUST ME, you don't want to be in a situation where you need a serial # and don't have it. Cuz then you'll find your axe in a pawn shop six years later and be unable to prove that it's yours. Nothing worse than seeing your baby sitting, OVERPRICED, in a pawn shop window and not being able to do anything about it... :(

20. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    If anyone's interested, I've got an Excel spreadsheet that is really cool for listing all of your gear. It has fields for Description, Manufacturer, Model Number, Serial Number, Date Purchased, Place Purchased, Price Paid, Estimated Value, and a place for Notes.

If you're interested, PM me with your email addy and I'll send a copy to you.

Wayne
    FBA