1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improve slapping videos?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    ok now I can alternate between slap and pop pretty good and clean...but when I try to go really fast I cant even come close. like a good example is this stu hamm slap video...when he plays slow I can play it perfect then he busts into hyper speed and I have no idea how he is doing that! is there any videos on youtube that you guys know of that show how and what to practice to somehow get to that speed of slapping?
    heres the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBis8v7CgU

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    That's a real first rate lesson right there. Lot's of good ideas.

As for building up speed. it just takes time and a lot of practice with a metronome. No one likes hearing that, but it's the truth ;)

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    it seems like I am missing something though. like he went from easy to master and theres something in between that I dont know.....is there anything you or anyone watched on youtube and practiced that made you improve?

4. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

+1

Spend as much time as possible on youtube. I had NONE of this available to me when I started playing in the late 70s! There's so much on there for free - it's unbelievable. I would have progressed a lot faster if I had a tool like that way back when. I was spinning LPs and playing along to learn bass lines. Slapping became easier once I started seeing cats do it live. Practice IS the way to go - watch - practice - slow to fast.....

5. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    Watch "Marlowdk" vids on the YouTube. After awhile,you'll be better at everything. And He has a ton of slap style and at all speeds etc...

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Thats why I started playing again...I am 40...they had nothing like this when I was a kid! I never got anywhere...now in the year I been playing again I am 100xs better then I ever was from watching youtube vids! I practice like 5 hours a day now that I am not working. I was playing an hour a day for the last year....now that I have not been working the last couple months I have been playing all day pretty much....and have improved a years worth in the last 2 months! ok I will watch marlowdk....I think I know who he is the italian guy with the glasses....or spanish. I can slap pretty clear and pretty good its just the speed I am having trouble with.....anyone seen a video that shows you how to improve your speed? I have Funk bass book I just got thats really good I am going through that too.
    I have to stop today under my finger nail is bleeding from popping and hitting the string above.

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Hey everyone,
    another exercise to do to help you alternate pluck 1 and 2 is working on intervals between two close strings, as A and D for example.
    Thumb and alternate plucks, it will hard but pretty helpful.
    Don't forget to focus on have the same tone and dynamics on both thumbs and plucks.
    Anyway if someone need more help, write me.
    Let's funk. :)

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    my finger is killing me and I am still playing! I am having the hardest time with 2 pops in a row when trying to do it really fast. I can alternate between slap and pop pretty fast...but when I have to do 2 pops it throws me all off!

9. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    +1 Amen to this

In the late seventies even the simplest slap lines were foreign to my vocabulary... now (after putting the bass down for...ahem... 30 years), they don't seem that difficult thanks to all the resources available.

10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Enrico as soon as my finger heals a bit I am going to check out your site. I ripped open under the fingernail plucking the D pretty good.

What making me mad is I have no problems slapping or popping I can make them sound great. I just can't make them sound great together really fast. I don't know what to play. I watch some YouTube videos and they are like ok slap here pop here now bang bang bang and it sounds awesome. Lol

11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Like stu Hamm in that video he goes slow I can replicate that perfect then it's just like 20 notes in a second and I can not replicate that. The 2 don't even sound alike.

12. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Shed your Slap...
    You're still thinking about what you're doing.
    Until it becomes second nature where you can talk and do it without thinking you haven't mastered it.
    Practice. It takes time.
    In all honesty that is not really that fast.
    Watch Victor Wooten or Anthony Wellington. You'll get the idea.

13. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Slap your shed... Wait...

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Have you been practicing with a metronome? It takes time to get food at something!

15. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Lets say for the sake of argument that when he's going slow, his tempo is 100 bpm. Then he bumps it to 120, and then down to 110 in the half time portion.

Want to learn how to do the para diddle at 120 bpm? Start at 100 where you can already do it. Then do 105 if you can. Once it starts getting hard, simply go up one bpm at a time until you can do it at 120 like Hamm was.

That is the only answer. There are no easier ways, no shortcuts, no magic tricks. Just good old fashioned wood shedding with a metronome.

Best of luck Dredmanhawkus!

16. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I found the video FINALLY! that taught me how to do it correctly!

I cant believe it. scott bass lessons video 74. usually he talks to much my ADD kicks in and I am lost. but I practiced half the video one day and the second half the next day and I can do it now and understand how the patterns and ghoast notes work!