1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In ear suggestions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by fokof, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I'm about to buy a pair of inear and wonder what you guys use/think of some models.

I've looked at the Shure SCL5 , SCL4 and Senheiser IE7 , IE6 never tried the IE8 though.
    What is more important to me is the flatness across the spectrum.

What pair is the flatest ?

I use Sony's 7506 as a reference.

2. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a problem. The 7506 has terrible fidelity: overblown bass, scooped mids, steely highs - certainly not something to be used as a reference. My Koss "The Plug" earbuds sound much better, as do the Sennheiser 280 headphones and ExtremeHeadphones. The buds that come with Sennheiser In-Ear sets also sound better than the 7506, and would be OK with a little EQ to fill out the mids (or mellow the lows and highs. (A proper reference would be any Grado phones.)

If you want custom molded at a comparably affordable price, these seem to be well respected: http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

3. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Too much bass , the 7506 ????????????? :confused::rollno:

So you say that 75% of all the sound engeneer , and all those top studio all have it wrong ?

Everybody uses these ( and their mother too ) for a reason.
    You probably heard a faulty pair.
    You meant 7509 maybe ?

4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Like SM57s and 58s, they are used because "everyone uses them - they're the standard". 7506s sound lousy (all of them, not just one pair I've heard), and they also have lousy isolation. Every time I've used them, I've said "I'm sure glad the PA does not sound like these!" Every time I've used 280s or ExtremeHeadphones, I've said "I wish the PA sounded like these!". And these phones pale in comparison to the Grado phones I've heard.

5. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Diversity is what makes nature what it is.
    Diversity of taste , of opinions.
    I don't disagree that there are some headphones out there that sound better. It's like the NS10 , there a reason why every studio has a pair.....

I do a lot of sound gigs , festivals where the sound check is with headphones , no PA.
    I've used my 7506 for 10 years now , and the mixes relates very well when the PA is on. I found these to be a very good general reference.

The important thing with a reference is if you know how it translates with other systems , phones , PA , monitor, etc....

Don't forget that they cost only 250$

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In the US, 280s and ExtremeHeadphones can be had for the same $ as 7506s (280s sometimes for less). Grados start lower, but being open air they are useless for FOH use.

7. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Thanx for the tip.
    I'll check them out when my 7506 are dead.

Back to topic , have you ever heard the IE8 from Senheiser?

8. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I went for the SCL5.....

9. Please reply back with your exp. using them.

I just got a set of Westone UM2s. I have mixed feelings at the moment but it's only been one gig.

If you've ever used these before they seem to come with a clayish squishy cover over the sound channel. Once you place them in your ear they expand back and fill the cavity.

That works fine but due to their clay like substance I found they stuck in my ear and actually had to be peeled out.

Twice the sleeve in ? came off and fell to the floor. Both times I didn't notice it until it was time to saddle up for the next set.

I found that I had to use the medium size to get them well into my ear.

The sound was solid enough even on my 5 string but I had trouble EQ some string noise for clarity. I use a 15 EQ on this channel side for that.

One thing I liked about them was when I sang I could really hear my voice. With my previous plugs (Senn CX300) all was clear except my voice due to my head cavity ringing.

Anyway i'll report back if you will :)

CP

10. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    I am useing M-audio IX 20XB's. they are quite cheap and not bad sounding at all. maybe the extended bass range is something that I like about these.
    only downside are the included plastic ear plugs (or how you call them??) anyways I feel that Shure has got them from bit better material.

I am looking for a pre for these no-amp-gigs at the moment, any suggestions welcomed!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469633

KG

11. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    OK
    I ordered them , the shop gave me a pair of old E5 while waiting.
    So I did a gig with the E5 and a gig with the SCL5.
    As you know with all IE , the fit is critical for bass reproduction , I had to experiment with a lot of type of "rubbers" to find a good match.

I used the equivalent of the SCL3 before , they sounded more like iPod stuff , un-natural boosted bass , good for hiphop and other "autotune" music :p

I like the E5 and prefer the SCL5. The bass is round and not over the top. I found them very flat. Playing with a PA with sub that act like a shaker feels very nice.
    The fit is more critical with the SCL5 than the E5 , you get the "good bass" once they are well fitted..... I found the E5 to be more forgiving in that departement.
    Really happy with the acquisition.

I use these moslty with a "Jazzish / Ambiant " trio , with a 5 string fretless ( that just has been stolen , another subject.... ) no drums , so the isolation is not an issue , can't comment on that subject.

Yeah , I'm curious to hear about them.

I use a Summit Audio TD100 straight to my amp (RCF ART310A)

( Both got stolen too :crying: )

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've been using UM2's for a couple years now, and have been prety satisfied with them. They're pretty much the Shure E5's (some people say better) at almost half the price. I've used Shure E3's and E5's and always felt they were way overrated for the $$$.

I tried a few different things for the inserts with the UM's. The Comply (foam) tips are OK, but wear out, get grubby and seem to affect bass response somewhat... almost like they soak some of it up. The Shure triple-flange tips work pretty well with them if you trim the stalk back a bit. They're a bit tougher to get used to, but once you do, the isolation and the sound is better than the Comply's. Fitted ear pieces (which you can get for the UM's) would probably be the best.

Also, these look pretty interesting...
    http://www.livewiresforyou.com/index.php
    ---
    c

13. I used my westones at 2 gigs this last weekend and they worked fine both nights. secret as always is to get a good seal.

I'm more careful removing them now so I don't lose the tips.

I do like the cable, I can run it up my back unde a shirt and put the receiver in my right pants pocket. The back of the cable near the pods has a slider that etd me tighten them up so ther are no loose cables as I play, then I can loosen them and remove them.

All in all better than my Senn CX300 but more exp too.

CP

14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I use and like FutureSonics. I use the foam inserts. Seal is very important. I plan someday to get some ear molds.

I also use and like 7506's and NS10's. But not 57's or 58's. ;)

15. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I use FutureSonics M5's with the Westone Comply inserts. I have a pair of Westone UM1's, those are the most comfortable (and have the nicest cables) of all the in-ears I've tried. The FutureSonics have a much deeper / stronger bass though.