1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In-ears question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheDialog, Mar 16, 2009.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Who uses or has experience in-ears for live purposes. I play venues that usually hold between 500 and 5,000 people and am looking to get in-ears so that I don't have to rely on just my 2 8x10's that are usually a good distance behind me. I have never been a huge fan of hearing a ton of bass in my wedge and would rather hear a ton of vocals and lead guitar in my wedge. I would love to have a nice mix in my ears of the bass, guitar and vocals and am ready to buy a system. May I have some recommendations please?

Thanks!

2. Plenty of threads on this in the Live sound section.

CP

3. I use in ears on stage for my vocals. But I have never used them for bass. When the in ears are in my ears I can still hear my bass pretty well.

4. Jeff in TX

Jeff in TX Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    I use in-ears... sorta. I have one side in (the side closest to the drummer) with everyone else mixed in and one side out so I can also hear my rig and the house.

5. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Thoughts on which system to get?

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have used the same entry level Shure PSM200s for years. They come with transmitter, receiver pack, and a set of E2 monitors. First thing I would do would be replace the in-ear pieces for some 2 driver models and use the E2s for backups. Shure makes some, Westone make some, as do Ultimate ears. I know a couple people who have the same Shure base kit but with upgraded in ear monitors and those really sound great. They get much louder (saves batteries since you don't have to turn the pack up), and do it better than my E2s. Clarity is much better. They produce the bass much better than my E2s. If I had those, I could probably go without a stage monitor all together. They are usually selling them pretty cheaply used, and there are great deals for the Shure in ears on Ebay all the time. Brand new, your looking at $800 if you find the deals.
    Wes

7. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Thanks Wes!

8. nickcardin

nickcardin

Aug 6, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    For three years I ran Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 EB. Pros for these is that the sound is amazing because it's a dual driver and the earbud is able to be removed from the cord for easy repair or replacement. The con is that the connection between the earbud and cord gets loose over time and will come apart while mid-song. Like Jeff said earlier, I was also running one side in and one side out, so when the earbud came loose, I lost most of the mix and had to strain to hear the house. I recently switched to the Shure SCL4 set with the wireless PSM200 setup. So far so good.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Let me make sure I am following you because I might be getting this wrong...you have 2 8x10 cabs on stage and you are having trouble hearing your bass?

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I was using custom sensaphonics.. lost them.. ughhhh so i have been waiting way too long for a new set of custom from livewires.. and getting a run around.. i heard the Nashville division is Much better than the California division at getting the livewires out... long story...

But iaslo have a set of Westone UM2 for my Ipod but i use them with shure clear silicon tips and they sound fantastic... i really like the Westones for univeral fit IEM.. they make a UM1 model for about $100 which to me were smoother and better bass than my first set of shure E2s.. westone rox..
    If the livewires dont come through this week i am going to pony up and get the ES2 by westone... I like the Westones more than i did the Ultimate ears