1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In memory of Adrian Garcia

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 22, 2008.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    EDIT (JT) : i merged a few threads inquiring about adrian into this one memorial thread.

I haven't heard about him in a while. He's been in my prayers. Anyone know anything?

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Please forgive my ignorance, but who is Adrian Garcia?

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Check him out.
    The man is one heck of a player, and the nicest guy in the world.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks James!
    I was just about to post that.

7. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    this is funny that you guys posted this......because i've been asking that question myself.

i hope he's doing good

8. I was just wondering this the other day.

lowsound

9. Smokin player and nice guy here on TB.

Hope Adrians doing well. Prayers are with him.

10. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
  11. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Talked to him a couple of weeks ago. He was in the hospital. Still fighting but very tired of the entire situ.

Don't know how he is right now. I feel like such a bastard for not talking to him for so long

12. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you talk to him, please tell him we all love him and our prayers are with him.

13. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Could not get in touch with him last night. will try again either tonight or tommrrow

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here, but not last night. A few days ago.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I last talked to him mid-last month, and it was hard for me to hear such a gentle soul as his hurting as much as he did. He is a dear friend, though we've never met in person, and I pray for him all the time, as well as his wife and daughter. He's so strong, to have gone through all of this with the grace and perseverance that he has is truly inspiring. What a tremendous asset to bassdom.

He still owes me a bass cab, a GK 210, ;),but I'd rather he focus his energies on getting through this ordeal, regardless of outcome! I told him when I sent the money that if I never got the cab, consider the money a blessing to him and his family.

Very early on, not knowing him as well as I do now, I sent him a book, entitled "You Can't Afford The Luxury Of A Negative Thought". This book was written specifically for people fighting terminal disease. It was shortly after he got out of the hospital the first time, and he had gotten the terminal diagnosis. I wasn't sure that he would appreciate the sentiment, but he read the whole book, loved it, thanked me repeatedly, and kept it with him in his book bag, taking it to all his treatments and gigs, always along with one other book- his Bible! To have my little present to him included with his most treasured books is indeed a gift to me, I feel honored and blessed to have connected with him in such a personal way! I even referenced the title in a couple posts to him, I think. It was our code-word, probably not caught by many here, but special to both of us.

He has always been a paragon of positive attitude, and I admire him greatly- not just for his great playing, but for who he is. For his strength and courage in his battle, and for never giving up! Fight on, my brother! WE ALL LOVE YOU, ADRIAN!

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I feel the same way, but balanced with not wanting to bother him...I feel selfish for wanting to talk to him, but then I know how little strength he has for conversation at this point.

It affected me greatly the last time we talked, I know I talked to at least two of my TB buddies here about it. Reminded me of the last time I spoke to my mom by phone- she passed away in 02 from cancer as well. I got to see her twice after that last phone call, so I am very fortunate, but it took a toll on me driving back and forth between Houston and Macon, GA, where she was. I did it every weekend for two months.

I really wish there was some miracle cure that I could give him, to make him whole again, to ease his pain, to give him hope...I'd do just about anything for that opportunity, I really would. I hate cancer. :(

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    +1

I was thinking about the same thing.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

We love you Adrian. :)

19. He's been in my thoughts recently also. I wish him the best.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's in my prayers, sending him all the strength I can muster for him and hoping that God is kind with him.