In need of a cheap digital multitrack recorder/mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Minger, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hi, at church I was told they're going to be looking for a better mixer - they want their recordings to sound better, and want the investment this is kinda my chance fto hopefully get even better stuff for the sound dept at church if this works out...which I'm the sound guy.

Nonetheless, I've got to build a list of mixers or sound careds and whatnot for the comptuer of possibilities - anybody have anything to suggest? I mean, the prices can be all over the place; they need to see that say 500 for one isn't all that expensive when they see one for 2000...:p

2. oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Ive heard good things about the boss B1180, but my band rented one and the bass came through distorted no matter what we did, although this seems to be an isolated issue that has plagued me alone. other than the horrible bass noises that you may or may not get, its a decent recorder. it only has 3 inputs though, and you can only record one track at a time, where as some have an input for each track, and they can record all at once. go for one of those. oh yeah, the boss goes for a little over a grand Canadian.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Mackie Onyx with the firewire expansion.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thats probably overkill - gonna need more inputs than that, lol.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cheap and lots of inputs don't go together.

The first thing skimped on to keep price down in multitracks is the number of inputs and number of channels you can record simultaneously. So #1 you need to identify what features are essential, what are nice to have and what are of no interest. Then you can start narrowing down the field.

Once you get into 16 track machines you start seeing 8 simultaneous inputs/record channels. The cheapest one I'd consider today is the Yamaha AW16G which is now selling for $800 new. It's an older machine so lacks things like a USB port for computer interfacing (you have to use the onboard CD burner for file backups).