1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of some advice.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Mar 17, 2009.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    So I have been playing bass for over 6 years now and have been quite happy with the sounds that I can naturally dial in between my Geddy Jbass and my Acoustic amp. However, I find myself doing a lot more live playing and recording and would like to change things up a bit.

I was considerring the Sansamp DI or the Boss Me-50b.

My question to you is to tell me what exactly the Sansamp does to the bass tonally and whether or not the Me-50b is capable of yielding similar sounds. (you know, mainly compare the features of the Sansamp and whether or not the Boss can do similar things on top of it's other effects)

I know ones a driver and ones a multi-effects but I don't have the cash for both and I like the idea of having all those effects within my reach.

Anyway, if you can help in describing the versatility of these two boxes, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I think the only advice I can give is don't fall into the consumer trap of judging products by the number of features and lose sight of sound quality. A box that promises to do everything will prove itself a bitter sonic disappointment. As the saying goes: there's no free lunch. Do your best to listen to any product you're interested in and let your ears be the judge. If you can't play it in person then look online for sound clips. If you can't a way to hear the product online or in person, don't buy it unless you're prepared to sell it on the used market for a substantial loss.

3. GOLGOTHAN

GOLGOTHAN Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    i personally have never had a good multi effects unit... but the sansamp isn't really effect at all... more of a preamp eq thingy... affects the bass, mids, highs, and also the overall gain... but still not an overdrive or distortion.. the multi might help you decide what type of effets you are into though.. maybe play the crap out of one at your local store and decide on what type off effects you like from it and then try to find those effects in a stand alone format.

4. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I guess what I'm asking is Can the Boss dial in the same effects/gainy distortion as the sansamp can produce. (I just thought it would be nice if it could do that while just being a multi effects. I guess I just assumed since it has a pretty in depth onboard Eq and bevy of features.)

I am not in the position to compare the two at the moment (although I have used both during separate occassions).

Actually, are any of the amp models or distortions any good on the Boss? (how about in relation to the Sansamp?)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The short answer is no, it cannot reproduce the sounds of the SansAmp. No multi effect does any ONE thing very well, instead, it does MANY things sort of ok-ish.

6. rygon

rygon

Mar 1, 2009
    the most similar feature on the me50b is th bass driver function. it works great if thats the sound you want. as far as that one effect goes, its not quite as versatile as the stand alone bddi, but il get you close. get the me50b used.

also, the key difference is that the me50b does not have an xlr out, or the same preamp functions as the bddi. just things to consider in your purchase