In your humble opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, May 16, 2021.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    In your opinion which D class amp sounds closest to a tube amp.

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'll share my two options.
    Mesa WD800 sounds mighty close to its older sibling, the Mesa Walkabout (SS, not class D) ... which does a great all tube impression for an amp with a non-tube power section.

The Ampeg PF500 does not have a single tube in it but will do a very good impression of an Ampeg tube amp. Not perfect, but very respectable.

IMO/IME, it's such a personal taste thing, that you will really have to try and listen to the various options with your own ears and with your own playing situation in mind to get to something that works for you.

good luck on your search, if that's what this is.

3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Aguilar Tonehammer 350/500/700

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Mesa TT-800 through the Boogie channel gets real close. Similar to a Fender Showman when you dial it in.

Aqualung60 and Shpigel like this.
  5. Tech21 VT500. Or not.

6. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    My Ampeg PF500 sounds like a tube Ampeg but, it doesn't feel like a tube amp. I've never played a SS amp of any class AB or D that responded like a tube amp. However, now that I've played SS for many years, I prefer it.

woody357 and Ellery like this.
  7. Personally, the thought of re-tubing a full-on tube amp (both the expense of good tubes, and a proper tech to perform it) renders this a non-question for me personally. I want loud and clean and consistent, and if it weighs five pounds and goes in a shoulder bag, I'm good. I can't hear whether it's Class D, Sunday School Class, or Late for Dinner.

80 pound heads and a pile of tubes is not a life I want to lead, no matter how good it may (or may not) sound. I do like the tube preamp in front, solid-state power in back rigs I've heard, but that would be as far as I'm willing to commit to that technology / topography, with a single preamp tube that lasts a long time.

I've never found tubes / no tubes a red line I can't cross, in fact, I've never seen the line.

I'm quite sure your results may vary, but that's this one man's opinion.

lomo, dabis, BazzaBass and 7 others like this.
  8. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Closest to which tube amp?

AGCurry, lomo, fdeck and 9 others like this.
  9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Orange Terror Bass and Mesa TT800 for me. Genz Benz Streamliner does a good job also.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Crate GFX-212.

br1qbat likes this.
  11. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I don’t know about tubes, but I had a TC Electronics RH450 that was very vintage-voiced, for lack of a better term. Super warm with a very baked-in tonal profile that was decidedly old-school. It had a knob labeled “Tubetone” (iirc). I guess that made it sound more like a tube amp? Dunno… but I loved that knob.

I’ve never owned anything with a tube power section, so take this with a grain of salt.

Wicked G and inthevelvet like this.
  12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Hartke TX600 with the compressor engaged a bit sounds very "tubey" (in a silverface Bassman sort of way...)

13. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I don’t know that it sounds the MOST like a tube amp as I haven’t heard more than a few highly regarded amps in person, but another vote for the tone hammer series. Has a nice tube vibe you can easily dial in.

Jason Schulhz and punchclock like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Mesa TT800. Of the ones I have tried, it reacts to your playing more like a MOSFET amp.... which is the closest thing to tubes you'll ever get in a solid state head.

I've tried a lot. But the TT is something special. Oddly enough, being q Walkabout owner, I haven't been able to try a WD800 yet. But if it even gets in the ballpark of the Walkabout (as most owners say it does) its a superb piece as well.

The two-channel versatility of the TT is what made me go with that and I'm glad I did.

15. Shpigel

Shpigel

Sep 19, 2016
    Mesa TT800

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  16. Mesa WD800

17. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Mesa WD 800 and TT 800 both have tubes in the preamp section and power tube emulation built-in to the power amp section. These amps have the warmth, harmonics, and compression and associated with tube amps without the weight, and also have a lot of other features that most full tube amps don’t offer.

lomo, Aqualung60 and 1bassplayinfool like this.
  18. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Kemper.

kjp360, spatters and seamonkey like this.
  19. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    Vote for my PF500. Sounds dammed close to me. Just not quite a punchy.

20. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The Streamliner does .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021