1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Incognito- new to me!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 7, 2012.

1. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I just happened on this information now. I used to play ''Colibri" (years ago) and always struggled to get the bass sounding as clean as on the recording. I kind of feel better now. At the same time it's strange to think that I never would have guessed the bass wasn't live. It's going to be interesting revisiting those albums...

2. I have five albums on my CD player in my car as we speak. I have an hour drive to work each morning so I get my fix every morning. It will be interesting listening now that I know the bass lines were programmed. I would have never guessed... They were perfect..

3. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    This is, 'round about, where I first stepped off into acid jazz,

thisisacid.jpg

Solsonics ' jazz in the present tense is in there ^ :) ^

I like this thread, and Incognito :cool: Thanking you! :thumbsup:

"What you're hearing now is jazz, in the present tense"

4. I got the 30th anniversary CD set and it's a disappointment. Unfortunately, the bass is so far down in the mix that you can barely hear it. All vocals and Rhodes. Might as well be karaoke. Haven't heard the 35th anniversary concert yet. I've been a big fan of this group since "Still A Friend Of Mine" was released and played regularly on a local jazz station. The "Last Night In Tokyo" concert is fantastic. I don't understand why they aren't more popular in the US.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  5. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Outside (Matt Cooper) had some nice stuff. There's a band he was/is in with Bluey (leader of Incognito) called Citrus Sun. He also did some playing with Incognito.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Tom Bomb likes this.
  6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Now that I'm relistening to those programmed tracks they do seem almost too perfect. I'm wondering why they chose to program instead of using a bass player. The drums and percs on Colibri, for example, arent't live either. I have to say, Richard Bull did a steller job with all of it. By the way, there's apparently much less bass programming on the follow up album, Positivity.

7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's just my speculations with fading memories from that time period.
    I had a very good friend - arranger/composer, and remember his attitude about the same subject.
    (I've listened to his nowadays compositions and solidly placed my friend among the Top - 20 arrangers in the world.)

That time, it was a "new beginning" -computer/sequencer based programming - for composers, especially, for arrangers to achieve that "close-to-perfection" arrangement with mood, character, attitude, nuances, etc... in the home environment of Computer/Sequencer based programming without trying to explain or "fight" with other musicians about this or that note, phrase, etc...

It's like my friend could take a "naked" tune home and bring it back as a fully recorded song.

What's more, that song's instruments were digitally recorded and, therefore, could be easily edited, with an excellent ability to change a tone, sound, instrument, etc...

Also, that time some of the computer-based bass sounds/tones sounded so fresh, so interesting, so new, etc..., in comparison to the natural bass guitar sound.

Once again, it's only my speculations.

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I thought the reason RHT appeared on so few tracks on Tribes was that he perhaps only joined the lineup part way through the making of the album but it seems he was also involved with Incognito's previous album, Inside Life. Could also be that it was just simpler for the songs' composers to just program or play the parts themselves. I'm sure if I knew half of what went on behind the scenes with many of my favourite albums I'd be caught a little off guard (even though I know how it goes with record making, it's still easy to make assumptions). Was listening to Incognito's Last Night In Tokyo and, although it's not the best bass mix in the world, it's nice to hear RHT playing in a live setting.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021