1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Independence between middle and ring fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RAM, Oct 5, 2009.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard stories about Japanese violinists who learn at age 2 actually develop complete independence between these two fingers. Other than that, I could only think it's a birth anomaly.

Anyone cursed (or blessed, I guess) with the "defect" of perfect independence between these two digits?

2. Sorry to ask but what do you mean exactly? As far as I'm aware I've always had complete independence of all my fingers. I can move them all at each joint independently from one another.... Is this a freak thing I'm not aware of or am I just missing something?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe you're one of the incredibly rare lucky few!

Try this for an experiment to see if you do, in fact, have complete independence between these two fingers. Place all 5 finger tips of one hand on the table. Next, bend your middle finger so the second knuckle is touching the same surface as the finger tips of your other 4 fingers. While the middle finger knuckle is flat on the table, raise each finger tip one-at-a-time while the other finger tips remaining on the table. You should notice your thumb, index, and pinky fingers all can rise with no problems. However, your ring finger won't be able to move, or at least as much, as the other fingers.

I hope that was as clear in words as it was in my head...

Here's
    an article on this subject.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting. My left hand was slightly better at it than my right, and my right hand's ring finger follows along with my middle finger when I play. My left hand's ring finger slightly moves when moving the middle finger but not nearly to the degree that my right hand's ring finger does. Never once affected my playing that I know of, though. I just use two fingers.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  6. Wow, ok I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have no problem with that exercise on either hand. Learn something new everyday!