1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Indie Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmcdan3, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    Anyone know any bassists or bands that play indie? im thinking perhaps the postal service or maybe radiohead. what exactly would be considered "indie" as far as the bassists' approach?? very confusing question i know....

2. lots of droning notes on open strings and then a higher, melodic part on the next string up is a typical indie bass thing. Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order is known for it.

Also bear in mind that indie kinda has two distinct genres- the current, modern american "indie rock," and then the post punk, brit pop, etc. on "indie labels." The latter definition is mostly older but the newer definition comes from modern bands emulating that stuff- for instance, Interpol copping joy Division left and right.

If you want the good bass playing, look at the older stuff. Some of those guys wrote great bass lines- the aforementioned Peter Hook, Andy Rourke of the Smiths, the bloke from the Housemartins whose name is slipping my mind, etc. A lot of these new indei bands are watered down replicants of the old "indie" bands.

3. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim?

4. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I would recommend bands like Archers Of Loaf, Superchunk, The Replacements, and Husker Du. Those Bands basically laid down the foundation for modern day "indie". I don't really call it that, because what it really is just punk rock that is expressed a little differently, but that takes a really long time to say.

5. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    open strings and high melodic parts? that sounds radiohead like to me

6. it depends on your context. For me, typical indie was the precursor to and included the 'C86' movement in the UK in the early eighties, so bands would include.

The wedding present (see Keith Gregory's work on my favourite dress for iconic bass, also Getting Nowhere Fast, and Gone for typical busy indie bass)
    the smiths (of course)
    early cure (killing an arab)
    echo and the bunnymen
    cocteau twins
    the fall
    shop assistants

Just get your hands on the re-issue of 'George Best' by The Wedding Present, that'll tell you all you need to know ;)

7. Some pretty good recent indie rock bands you can check out are The Slip, American Analog Set, and The Bravery (a little more mainstream, but still good)

8. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    Matt Sharp is one of my favorite bass players of all time- he used to be with Weezer and contributed some pretty rocking bass lines on pinkerton- he's working with Tegan and Sara these days as well as continuing on his own group The Rentals.

his bass lines are simple and straight forward, his tone is gritty and always appropriate to the song, and his stage presence is awesome.

9. We Are Scientists

he plays T-birds and P basses, AWESOME bass playing. As a guy whos into Billy Sheehan,Wooten,Marcus Miller, and Steve Harris. I think this guy is a perfect example of what a bassist should do, hes just a solid player who can be heard, hes in the pocket and he has great fills. His playing is very unique for his style of music, and he has great tone.
    great music too!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tp-esZinlMo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUHfmme7iow

10. +5000. I've just spent the last 30 minutes listening to their music...I had never listened to them before. thanks.

I'm a guitarist who is gradually becoming a bassist and there is not enough talk about people who are just solid (I found this thread by searching solid, lol). Before I start trying to become victor wooten I'ld much rather work on my timing, rhythm and note selection... So I'll just add We are Scientists right after the Police on my "bands with bass players to emulate" list. : )

Good choice.

11. If by Indie we mean: not likely to be played on commercial FM radio in America (as good a definition as any I think):

--David Allen (Gang of Four)
    --Colin Moulding (XTC... I think he was mainly responsible for the bass parts)
    --Les Pattinson (Echo and the Bunnymen)
    --Mike Watt (Minutemen, Firehose, solo)
    --Bundy K. Brown, then Dan Bitney (Tortoise)

Edit to add: whomever was playing bass on those early-ish flaming lips records (Michael Ivins, Steven Drozd?). That's good bass playing.

Lots of others...

One thing that irks me about talkbass is the worship of bass players who's musical instincts are non-existent. It's sort of like someone saying, "I love athletics." Then when asked what athletes they respect, responding that they like body builders. Does anyone actually sit down and listen to these 9-string Stanley Jordan wankers playing their redundant fusion/funk/whatever? I once saw Al Demiola in concert due to some free tickets. It was shocking exhibition of skill minus taste. Okay... I feel better.

12. Eric Judy of Modest Mouse is a personal favorite of mine. Other assorted bands with rocking bassists:

-Interpol
    -Cursive
    -The Arctic Monkeys
    -The Slip
    -The Fratellis
    -Green Pitch
    -The Killers
    -Kings Of Leon
    -OK Go
    -The Shins
    -Small Leaks Sink Ships

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Go to YouTube and type in "Neds Atomic Dustbin", although they cheated a bit by having two bass players.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1
    I love how your definition is so completely at odds with the rest of the ones in this thread, but contains not only the best definition of "Indie" but the best shortlist of outstanding under the radar bassists I've seen in a while.

15. +1 on american analog set. i have their release 'set free.' i absolutely LOVE the bass playing. really cool stuff. not technical but just great lines and the bass is very clear in the mix.

16. I'm with you...i'ld rather listen to somebody play in a band than screw around really fast. Give me sting over victor wooten anyday. :bag:

17. Lalo

Lalo

Sep 11, 2003
    San Antonio Texas
    Indie is misinterpreted, Indie stands for Independent, in other words independent bands without a huge company behind them, i can say Radiohead could be consider independent since they are actually on an independent label and not with their previous record company,

18. mizmor

mizmor

May 9, 2008
    NJ
    Decided to bring back a thread instead of making a new one. It's not terribly old.

Some other bassists to look at are....

Patrick Fitzgerald of Kitchens of Distinction
    Greg Edwards of Failure
    Brian Gibson of Lightning Bolt
    Steve Popson of Polvo
    James Mcnew of Yo La Tengo (really simple, but it works for the music)
    When My Bloody Valentine play live the bass is pretty cool, but most shoegazer seems to lack definitive bass lines......

19. jbotz9

jbotz9

Jul 11, 2007
    check out toby leaman (tables) from the band Dr. Dog. brilliant band and brilliant bass player

20. frozilla

frozilla

Dec 21, 2008
    Walrus, New York
    ALSO also really wants to be Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez
    YESS.

Brian Gibson is glorious. And Mike Watt is my idol.