1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inexpensive Ampeg-ish Recommendation for Gigging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J-Mags, Feb 17, 2020.

1. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've been playing a Fender Rumble 200 1x15 combo with my punk band, and it's been pretty good, but the guitar player in my band has switched from a 1x12 to a 4x12, and I'm not always cutting through. I also am thinking I might want a more Ampeg-ish sound. I've grown accustomed to walking into the door to gigs in one trip, and while I'm not going to resent another trip to bring in an extra cab or something, I'm certainly not going to be buying any SVTs or 8x10s.

I'm looking for a rig that approximates a classic thick Ampeg rock sound, doesn't weigh too much and fits in my Honda fit. I've been playing music forever, and I know that there's no substitute for the real thing, but I also know that there are a zillion substitutes that sound kinda like the real thing, which is probably good enough for me. I don't want to deal with more speakers than a 2x12 or a couple of 2x10s if I can help it. We're not that loud, but 135 watts into a 15 is marginal.

2. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Moosehead1966 likes this.
  3. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I traded an Ampeg Micro VR for a Rumble 500. As nice as the Rumble is I regret making that trade and will pick up another Micro when I can. Small Lightweight and very Ampeg sounding IMO.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just an observation, but if your guitarist is going from a 112 to a 412, I have a feeling the volume wars have started.

5. I’m gonna throw a curveball atcha: Markbass.

Ive been playing mostly Ampeg, and recently Rumbles, my whole bass career (nearing 20 years.) I got to use some Mark combos (112 and 210) and- WOWZA! Clear, articulate and punchy, with just the right amount of warmth. A laser beam of sweet bass. I kept reading Markbass is “clean and sterile;” but they have made me a very happy customer.

Got myself the 12” combo, but there’s plenty of other options for a “big rig.”

Don41_2, Kwabas, AlexanderB and 2 others like this.
  6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Rumble 1x15 cab under the combo?

7. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Assuming the guitarist does not crank the 4x12, 2 svt210avs (stacked vertically if you at all can) and amp to taste. I have a V4B and think it’s great, but competing with a 4x12, you might want to look to a PF-500/800. I pair a TC Electronic BH800 with these cabs and like it a lot. Lighter than the Portaflex amps and, IMHO, sound good and offers some flexibility over the Ampeg class Ds. I use this rig each week for practice in a 5 piece classic rock band with 2 guitarists playing through 2 100-ish watt 2x12 amps and a loud drummer.

If the guitarist is making the 4x12 scream, then the only way to compete is a high power amp (SVT, PF-800 or similar solid state amp) and an 8x10 (and a healthy investment is some good ear plugs...)
    The new couple.jpg

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    For Ampeg I agree about the PF-800/500 . The PF-500 would be enough for most gigs with a 212 cabinet . The SVT212 cabinet is pretty well liked around here and would be a good match with one of those heads .

9. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    It's not actually that much louder but it's fuller. It used to be middy and trebly and leave lots of room for me. It's still not super deep or loud (he's still got an 18-watt head), but there's not as much room for me as there used to be.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Gibson Victory likes this.
  10. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Maybe with 2 cabs!

WillyWonka and Gibson Victory like this.
  11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Define inexpensive. It's tough to make a recommendation without knowing the budget.

alanloomis1980 and dalkowski like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Punk? I'd want something fairly sturdy for punk. The SVT 210av cabs would probably do you if you got two with a PF350, but if there's a lot of stage diving and slamming at your shows, you might want something a little more sturdy and less easily trampled. How about an SVT 212av with the PF head of your choice? Would that fit? Totally has the sound as far as I'm concerned. A PF210he might also be a good choice as it's more heavy duty than the 210av.

13. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Lot’s of good stuff out there nowadays, both new and used. If you REALLY want the Ampeg sound, check out some of their stuff. Not everything they make is super heavy. Depends on what you are looking for. There are a lot of comments out there nowadays about “as good as”, or “sounds like” an Ampeg. No it isn’t, no it does not. Keep in mind here that besides sound here, there is a tradition that goes back for a good number of years. When you end up owning one of these things and the covers are removed showing that little @ up in the corner, people will know you are serious about what you are doing. Pride of ownership goes a long way. As always, I’m totally prepared for the negative comments, go for it. Most likely would be “my so and so amp” sounds just as good as your Ampeg. Really? Notice what they are comparing it to? So worse comes to worse here, go try one, at least you will know, right? Obliviously partial here, sorry, but like they used to say in the old west” I ride for the Brand”, and the Brand has always served me well. Life is full of choices, best of luck here!

14. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I would recommend the PF-500/800 head and PF-210 cab, two if you run with the 800. It's well-built, sounds like Ampeg (I agree with Gibson Victory) and is versatile enough to play beyond your punk years. Easier to haul around than you might think too. If your budget won't allow all that, Jimmy's recommendation the SVT 210av with PF-350 would be a great starter rig, though lacking deeper bottom end. Heck, you may even want to audition the BA-210 v2 combo and add on a 210 cab down the road. Look used and you'll find them pretty reasonable. I'd definitely go Ampeg for what you want.

J-Mags and Gibson Victory like this.
  15. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    There's slamming at our shows. Less stage diving because we're geriatric. 2nd generation (former) punkers - i.e. first generation stage divers, although it was never my thing - are in our 50s. If the stage is low, there's often someone stepping on my toes but the backline is ok.

16. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Under 1K for everything, although that would still be the most expensive amp I've ever owned for any instrument.

17. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I’m using my micro VR and BA-112 as a quasi stereo rig.

Clean with the scrambler pedal on the BA-112, and pedals through the micro VR.

I’m using my boss tuner Tu-3 to split the signal.

I could just add a second 2x10 cab to the micro... probably will do that anyway...

was considering the BA-115 at some point

micro vr and the BA-115 have a di built in, BA-112 does not.

J-Mags likes this.
  18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What about adding an extension cab to the Rumble (I think they give you an ext. Output) and throwing an ampeg or sansamp pedal in front of the amp for flavor? BDDI gets pretty ampegish and gives you added flexibility.

19. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    When I first saw the 1k thing, I was like ??????. But after some thought, and looking at some of my recent purchase receipts, on the used market you could definitely make this happen, and then some. I recently put together a Ampeg SVT 6 Pro, and SVT 6x10 Cab for a little over $900.00. This stuff is WAY more than you need, would not fit in your vehicle, etc. Actually I did not need it either, just could not pass up the deal. Just using the above example as to how much of a “markdown” there is on used Bass gear.

J-Mags likes this.
  20. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    Still have a Version 1 of the BA115 that I use every day, even though I have lot’s of SVT stuff. No slouch for sure, and I believe the current version is even better, allowing an external speaker, and some other features.

J-Mags likes this.