Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info For this Conklin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i'm surfin TB, and I found this link to Conklin. I went on it and i'm checkin out the 6'ers. I find most of them ugly except this one.

http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/6gallery/6midi.html

I think that thing is amazing! I have a few questions though. Is it a midi bass? If so, is that why there's like 1000 knobs? Also, how much do these retail, and where can I get one?

Thanks!

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think it is a midi bass, if I'm not mistaking that looks like a midi output there, next to the regular one..

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually it has a 13 - pin roland-style guitar-synth output, which goes to an external unit that converts the output to standard midi.

as for the number of knobs, unless i'm mistaken, there are 5. that's a standard arrangement on an active bass. :rolleyes:

4. How can anyone find this ugly??? For ME, that bass with a pair of standard magnetic p/u's instead of the lightwave is just beyond words. I think all Conklins are great instruments, but I've gotta tell you Petary, IMO the one you linked to is painfully average looking. No doubt a superb bass, but just a wee bit to plain for me.

And also, the custom line of Conklins don't *retail* per se. They are all hand made custom instruments made by Bill Conklin and his partner Mike Apperson in Springfield, Missourri. I'm willing to guess that bass is probably in the 4-5k range, if not a bit more due to the midi. John, what'dya think?
    [​IMG]

If you want retail, look at the Groove Tools line, which unfortunately does not make a 6 string (yet?).

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    +1 billion .......

That 6 melt is my favorite among the many beautiful Conklins I have seen. I agree with Eric, the one Petary choose is probably one of the most non-descript basses I ever seen from Conklin ..... Hey, whatever rocks your world :D

6. I wish conklin made a GT6

7. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ

This is a beautiful instrument. I loved this bass the moment I saw it, and when I was ready to have my custom built, I contacted Bill about the cost of this bass. It was a bit out of my range, so I decided on something a bit more modest.

Mikey/

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just go for a 7... Not -that- big a deal having to learn to navigate that one extra string.

9. I feel so inferior :crying:

:D

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah beem I hear ya... what's a couple or more extra strings? just a little shed time and it's part of your bag o' tricks in no time.

As for this one:
    [​IMG]
    I could actually get used to something like that.

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    @ j-raj & Eric618

:meh:

Hmmmmm... Can't tell if you guys are being facetious or no but seriously, if you're comfortable on a six, which B8ssMan89's post led me to believe, it's not -that- hard a jump to a 7... I should know because that's how I did it..

12. Hey Mark...
    Naw, I'm serious. I haven't even attempted a 6 yet, and your talking about the jump directly to 7. Hell, the jump in string spacing from my GT to my custom at 19mm was a chore to acclimate to!!! :D Add another string and I just may crack! Hahaha

I envy you guys that can handle the extreme ERB's. And Stew (if you are out there), you're just an alien I think! :D

In due time (I hope!!!). :)

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Meant nothing by it so please don't take it as me slamming anyone.. I guess it would have been better to say:

"If you're already familiar and comfortable on a 6 string then a 7 should not take you too long to become just as familiar and comfortable with."

Wasn't insinuating that I was some kind of "expert", "better than you, him, her, them" or anything of that nature...

:rolleyes:

(Jeez, think I'll have to add an ERB disclaimer to my signature..)

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nah dude, I'm being completely serious. If I had the chee$e to have a custom of that stature made and the time to shed on it, I would love to be an uber-ERBist. Jealousy aside I have a ton of respect for y'all cats that have 7+ strings... Damn, one of the basses I would like is a GT7 with a low C#, tuned in 4ths up to G... but hey that's just me.

I was just commenting on bringing your comfort-level on a particular instrument up to snuff.... where you would feel cool about bringing it out on a gig.

Plus, I was serious about liking that 'understated' Conk 6'er... looks pretty chill to me.

... this an 'OK' enough post?

15. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    You could get used to a lot more, all you need is teh will to do it, I do believe that a lot of ppl reject extended range basses or any other variant of an instrument because it defies the concept of the instrument that some have embebbed in their minds since the beggining and imposed by modern popular music and all its propaganda, if you would put a young child learning a 7 string without any prior knowledge of an existing type of instrument with less strings, she would react the same way to these as many bassists with their mindset on only knowing 4 strings react to 5 + stringers and beyond, basically he would probably say something like:

"woa, jus 4 stringzz???? dude, thatz overkill, my hands could neevr git used to tht pncil neck" :eek:

16. Hahahahaha

No, no, no.... Mark, I CERTAINLY wasn't reading it that way. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I have the utmost respect for you all guys, and recognize I'll never stop learning. I welcome all the help I can get!

I'm just reflecting on my own multi-string phobia.

All in good fun..... This certainly is no type of "competition" for me. I woulda been blown outta the water some time ago if that were the case!

Again, sorry Mark. :bassist:

17. Hey j-raj. I'd NEVER turn down a custom Conklin either, and it's no doubt a killer instrument. I just thought it was weird that someone pointed to that one as an "amazing" isntrument while calling the melt I posted (among others) as "ugly".

I guess it's a matter of taste. If I pay that kinda money for an instrument, I like it to stand out just a little bit more.

Rock on, bro. :)

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, did all of you cat's just give up smoking or something :confused:
    Really no need for apologies on anyone's part in this thread, I kind of thought it was a pretty cool, light-hearted exchange :D

Mark, just for a little neutral perspective, I can't imagine there is anyone here who thinks you have any kind of 'tude at all, as a matter of fact, quite the opposite. And based on what little I know about Eric & j-raj from this forum, they both seem to be amazingly cool :cool:

I think your sig disclaimer should be as follows:
    "If anyone thinks I'm better then them because I play ERB's, then I'm going to give all my basses to pointbass"
    :D

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup, matter of taste is true...

I guess I like understated stuff... Bells and whistles don't always have to stick out IMO.

See, after getting a bass stolen on a gig and one many years ago while late-night unloading after a gig... understated attracts less attention.

20. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    pr0ps to Ed, thx man.

Actually I think that a couple cats on this forum have quit cigs, recently... me included.

...some more recently than others, though. :help:

:bag:

j/k :D