1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input Jack works on and off and scratches

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SheriffJWPepper, Jul 22, 2012.

1. SheriffJWPepper

SheriffJWPepper

Nov 24, 2011
    New York
    Hi all,

Having a problem with my Input Jack.
    When I plug the cord in and turn on the amp, it usually gets no sound.
    But if I turn the plug in the jack or even move it a bit, it works.
    Then I have to be careful not to move or it will go out again,
    or it makes horrible scratching sounds.

I checked the wires and they seems to be soldered well.
    I even bended the metal "hook" piece (see pic) to give it more grab :

http://www.amazon.com/Switchcraft-Mono-2-Conductor-Input-Circuit/dp/B0049BKIF8

Why is it still doing this? There is no play movement in the jack and plug. Should I buy a new jack?
    Any ideas? Thanks

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Check to make sure your cable is ok first (try another cable), if it's still doing it with a different one try cleaning the jack with some contact cleaner. Deoxit d5 is recommended by many techs, bu others will work too, just make sure it doesn't interact with guitars finish or plastic.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1 on the cable. Try moving the cable gently around the input side... if it's cutting out, swap the cable for an other and repeat. if you only have one to hand try reversing the cable. If there is no cutting out it might be just damage towards one end of the cable.

The problem could of course be the contact on the amp / combo or the bass jack. Try eliminating factors as well as you can. Reproducing the fault is a great 1st step to troubleshooting.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You may have some corrosion on the contacts of the input jack. Caig DeOxit can clean them. I use a stiff nylon .22 calibre bore brush and DeOxit to clean mine.

5. SheriffJWPepper

SheriffJWPepper

Nov 24, 2011
    New York
    thanks all,
    I tried another cable, so it's not the cable.

It's probably corrosion on the contacts of the input jack.
    Had a similar problem with my speaker cable going to my computer : corrosion.
    I'll clean it off and see what happens.

Do they sell this stuff at radio shack?

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yes. If that don't work it could also be a bad/cold solder joint.

7. +1 to contact cleaner. One of my basses was horrific, there were times where it wouldn't make a noise, or where the noise would cut in and out. I actually thought my speakers or amp where toast with that one, it sounded like a rattling noise. But anyways, contact cleaner totally stopped that, but it still has some issues.

I do have a question, and I hope the OP doesn't mind. I have three Fenders style basses, two of them are 12 years old, and no matter how much I clean them or bend the clip in, they still make a popping noise when I put pressure on the end of the cable. They don't scratch when I twist the plug, just when I put pressure on it. Sort of like when I take off/put on my bass and grab the bottom of it and grab the cable at the same time. Because it happens with the two 12 year old basses, and not nearly as much with the 2 year old bass, I know that it isn't normal. But what could be the issue? Could the older clips just not have a good spring to them anymore an should be replaced?

8. SheriffJWPepper

SheriffJWPepper

Nov 24, 2011
    New York
    I have an old "piece of junk" Fender too.

Have you considered getting a new clip?
    The only hard part would be the soldering the wires.

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Some (actually many) jacks are slightly out of spec. A short or long tip connection or slightly oversized sleeve barrel can make a quality, tight connection a challenge!

If you have some jacks that arent 'behaving', consider changing them out with Switchcraft jacks (should be within spec!).

Another option would be to try Planet Waves newer "American Stage" cables. The tip of the cable has a new, unique shape that is engineered to compensate for out-of-spec jacks. It really works!

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The parts of the OUTPUT jacks are riveted together - I think that sometimes this joint gets corroded and you cannot fix it - just replace it. Even a good one is cheap.

11. was going to post IBT "its an output jack" post. beat me to it.

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    White vinegar and a Q-tip. Works fantastic. Why pay more?

13. Just got my bass back this afternoon from a local Nashville shop. They just removed EVERYTHING, laid it out on a table, and went from item to item. Either cleaned with Q-tip or spray. Checked solders and put everything back in. $38 for all that. Sounds like new. I know I could do it, but this guy does several every day so I wanted his experience. Only other advice I can think of is to push the 1/4 plug just a little harder. When I got this bass I pushed it until it clicked once, like all my other basses. But this one needed two clicks to make a full contact. Won't hurt to try it.

14. SheriffJWPepper

SheriffJWPepper

Nov 24, 2011
    New York
    I bought a can of some oxidation cleaner from Radio Shack for $6.00 and it works now.
    I brushed the connecter with a wire brush and sandpaper then sprayed this stuff on.
    Now the annoying static noise is gone.